You need a library card when you want to borrow library material from Utrecht University Library. If you only want to consult material in the library, you can apply for a free reading room card.
Applying for a library card
You may apply for a library card by registering at one of the locations of Utrecht University Library. You use your Solis-id to request books from WorldCat or renew them. If you are not a UU student or staff member, you must request a guest Solis ID. Please do so in advance by filling in the form. When registering at one of the service desks, you must bring a valid proof of identity.
Utrecht University students are automatically registered as library users. They can use the library card in the MyUU-app or by applying for a card at one of the service desks.
Registering is free of charge for:
- Staff and students of Utrecht University, UMC Utrecht, of other Dutch universities and of other institutions affiliated with Dutch universities (PDF in Dutch only); (not-UU students on presentation of their student card and proof of enrolment);
- Students and staff of the Hogeschool Utrecht (HU) and Utrecht School of the Arts (HKU), Marnix Academy, Humanistisch Vormingsonderwijs (HVO) (Humanistic Socio-Cultural Education) en Hoger Onderwijs voor Ouderen (HOVO) (Higher Education for Older People);
- Staff of the Koninklijke Bibliotheek (National Library of the Netherlands), the Royal Dutch Academy of Science (KNAW) and the Dutch Research Council (NWO);
- Secondary school pupils and students of ROC’s of schools situated in the province of Utrecht (on presentation of their school/student card);
- Utrecht University alumni in possession of an alumni card;
- persons in possession of an U-pas.
All other library users have to register at an annual fee of € 50 to obtain a Utrecht University Library card.
Period of validity and renewal
- The validity period of the library cards of Utrecht University students is automatically renewed each academic year.
- Membership of Utrecht University staff expires after three years.
- Membership of other borrowers expires after one year.
Please renew your card at the service desk of any University Library location.
- Utrecht University staff on presentation of a valid proof of identity;
- Students of Hogeschool Utrecht and students of all Dutch universities on presentation of their student cards of the current academic year and a valid proof of identity;
- Alumni on presentation of their alumni card of the current calendar year and a valid proof of identity;
- Other groups with a free library card on presentation of a valid proof of identity.
Renewing paid membership
Persons who have to pay an annual library fee will receive a reminder by email or letter some time before the period of validity of their cards expires, with instructions about how to pay the €50 to renew your membership. On presentation of a valid proof of identity you can also pay the library fee at the service desk.
Requesting and renewing material
When requesting material or renewing the loan period of borrowed items in WorldCat, you need to log in with your Solis ID.