By exceeding the fixed loan period, an overdue fine per borrowed book will be imposed.The fine rates are fixed by the librarian of Utrecht University.
The procedure is as follows:
- The first day after the due date, you will be held liable for exceeding the loan period. No overdue fines are imposed yet.
- The seventh day after the due date, you must pay an overdue fine of €1 per book.
- Up to the thirteenth day after the due date the overdue fine per item will remain €1.
- The fourteenth day after the due date, the overdue fine will be raised to €3 per item. Up to the twentieth day after the due date the overdue fine per book will remain €3.
- You can renew the borrowed materials up to the twentieth day after the due date, unless the items have been requested by other borrowers.
- The twenty-first day after the due date, the overdue fine will be raised to €15 per book. You will be held liable for failing to return the borrowed materials. You can only have the materials renewed by the library, unless the books have been requested by other borrowers.
- The thirty-sixth day after the due date, you will pay the replacements costs of the books. These costs will be cancelled when you return the books. In case of non-payment, we will call in a debt-collecting agency.. Your library card will be blocked and you can no longer check out books until the costs mentioned above are paid. By returning the item, only the replacement costs will be cancelled.
How to pay your fine
You must use the payment machine in the library to pay your fine or go to the service desk. The library does not accept cash payment. You can also pay your fine by bank transfer. IBAN: NL38ABNA0484856898. BIC: ABNANL2A. University Library/ADC, P.O. Box 80011, 3508 TA Utrecht. Please state: Fine UBU and your library card number or student number.
As an extra service the library will send you four overdue notices after the first, the seventh, the fourteenth and the twenty-first day following the due date.
- Students receive the overdue notices on their Solismail address.
- If you do not have an e-mail address, the notices will be sent to you by post.
- No rights can be derived from not receiving overdue notices.
Your outstanding fines will not be cancelled on returning or renewing the book.
If an outstanding fine amounts to €10 or more, you can only check out or renew items when this amount of money has been paid.