By exceeding the fixed loan period, an overdue fine per borrowed book will be imposed.The fine rates are fixed by the librarian of Utrecht University.
The procedure is as follows:
- The first day after the due date, you will be held liable for exceeding the loan period. No overdue fines are imposed yet.
- The seventh day after the due date, you must pay an overdue fine of €1 per book.
- Up to the thirteenth day after the due date the overdue fine per item will remain €1.
- The fourteenth day after the due date, the overdue fine will be raised to €3 per item. Up to the twentieth day after the due date the overdue fine per book will remain €3.
- You can renew the borrowed materials up to the twentieth day after the due date, unless the items have been requested by other borrowers.
- The twenty-first day after the due date, the overdue fine will be raised to €15 per book. You will be held liable for failing to return the borrowed materials. You can only have the materials renewed by the library, unless the books have been requested by other borrowers.
- The thirty-sixth day after the due date, you will be billed for the replacements costs of the books (a minimum of €50 per book). These costs will be cancelled when you return the books. In case of non-payment, we will call in a debt-collecting agency. You must pay the fine at the service desk of the library. Your library card will be blocked and you can no longer check out books until the costs mentioned above are paid. By returning the item, only the replacement costs will be cancelled.
As an extra service the library will send you four overdue notices after the first, the seventh, the fourteenth and the twenty-first day following the due date.
- Students receive the overdue notices on their Solismail address.
- If you do not have an e-mail address, the notices will be sent to you by post.
- No rights can be derived from not receiving overdue notices.
In all cases of the fines system, as stated in paragraph 3 of this Article, the following applies:
- Your outstanding fines will not be cancelled on returning or renewing
- If an outstanding fine amounts to ten Euros or more, you can only
check out or renew items when this amount of money has been paid.
- In the University Library Uithof and the University Library City Centre you pay your fine by pin using a payment machine.
-You can also pay your fine by bank transfer. IBAN: NL68INGB0000130037. Swift INGBNL2A. University Library/ADC, P.O. Box 80011, 3508 TA Utrecht. Please state: Fine UBU and your library card number or student number.