What will you find in PubMed?
- 30 million references to biomedical literature;
- 5600 life science journals from over 80 different countries (however, not many Dutch journals);
- A list of the most recent publications in widely read journals, such as Nature, PLoS One and JAMA.
Useful tools in PubMed
PubMed offers a number of tools to help you perform a more efficient search, for instance:
- Clinical Queries, a search filter set up in advance which limits the search results to three specific clinical research areas;
- MeSH-terms: each reference in PubMed comes with headwords (MeSH stands for Medical Subject Headings). With the help of this list you conduct a direct search in PubMed. The list also helps you to find synonyms, or to either broaden or refine your search;
- Single Citation Matcher to conduct a known item search, for instance a reference from a reading list. You only need a few data (for instance journal title, volume, page numbers) to find the publication in question.