What will you find in PubMed?
- 30 million references to biomedical literature;
- 5600 life science journals from over 80 different countries (however, not many Dutch journals);
- A list of the most recent publications in widely read journals, such as Nature, PLoS One and JAMA.
If you log in to PubMed via the link provided by of the university library, you will find the UBU link next to each reference, providing information about the (full text) availability of publications in Utrecht University Library.
Useful tools in PubMed
PubMed offers a number of tools to help you perform a more efficient search, for instance:
- Clinical Queries, a search filter set up in advance which limits the search results to three specific clinical research areas;
- MeSH-terms: each reference in PubMed comes with headwords (MeSH stands for Medical Subject Headings). With the help of this list you conduct a direct search in PubMed. The list also helps you to find synonyms, or to either broaden or refine your search;
- Single Citation Matcher to conduct a known item search, for instance a reference from a reading list. You only need a few data (for instance journal title, volume, page numbers) to find the publication in question.