The Supervisory Board is the University’s statutory supervisory body. The Executive Board requires the approval of the Supervisory Board on the Strategic Plan, the Annual Report and the Annual Accounts.
The Executive Board informs the Supervisory Board of all major developments and events taking place at Utrecht University.
The Minister of Education, Culture and Science appoints the members of the Supervisory Board. One of its members maintains a confidential relationship with the University Council.
The Supervisory Board
- Prof. E. (Emmo) Meijer (chairman) has been a member of the board since 2011 and became chariman of the board on February 1, 2012. He was corporate director of R&D of FrieslandCampina and also professor by special appointment of Bio-organic Chemistry at Eindhoven University of Technology, with which Utrecht University has formed a strategic alliance. His other positions include member of the Board of Directors of the Royal Holland Society of Sciences and Humanities, chairman of the Top Institute Food and Nutrition, chairman of the AgriFood & Innovation Management Group, member of the Advisory council for science, technology and innovation (AWTI) and member of the Board of Governors of the KU Leuven.
- Prof. W. (Wim) van de Donk (deputy-chairman) has been a member of the board since February 1, 2012. He is the King's Commissioner for the province of Noord-Brabant and is a professor of Public Administration at Tilburg University. Van de Donk is also a member of the Committee of the Regions (European Union), a member of Advisory Council of the Social Insurance Bank (SVB), chairman of the Netherlands School of Public Administration (NSOB) and chairman of the supervisory committee of the Netherlands Environmental Assessment Agency (PBL).
- K.T.V. (Karin) Bergstein MSc, MBA (president of the audit committee) has been a member of the board since January 1, 2014. She is a member of the Executive Board of a.s.r., where her responsibilities include Non-Life, Life, Burial Services, Finances, Distribution Intermediary and Customer Services. She previously held a number of positions at ING, the last of which being that of member of the Executive Board of ING Bank Nederland. Bergstein is also a member of the Supervisory Board of the Sanquin Blood Supply Foundation and a member of the Supervisory Board of ArboNed.
- A. (Joanne) Kellermann LLM (member of the audit committee) has been a member of the board since August 2014. She has been appointed as managing director of the Single Resolution Mechanism (SRM) with effect from March 2015. The Single Resolution Board has its seat in Brussels and is responsible for drawing up resolutions and the major European banks which have been subject to supervision by the European Central Bank since early November 2014. Before this she was, starting from 2007, an Executive Director of the Netherlands Central Bank (DNB) where she was responsible for supervision of the financial sector. Kellermann also has a seat on the Supervisory Board of the Van Gogh Museum.
- dr. Jan van der Eijk is an alumnus of Utrecht University. He has been a member of the board since October 1, 2015. He graduated with a degree in Chemistry in 1976 and in 1980 he completed a PhD on a physical organic subject. He worked for Shell for almost thirty years in different positions relating to research, technology and business operations in the Netherlands as well as the United Kingdom and the United States. After leaving Shell he applied his knowledge and skills to helping society face the challenge of becoming more prosperous without depleting natural resources. Van der Eijk is also chairman of the Supervisory Board of Synvina B.V. and he is member of the Supervisory Board of Havenbedrijf Moerdijk N.V.
Secretary to the Supervisory Board: dr. M.L. Toebes, Tel. (030) 253 4489, fax +31 30 253 77 45, E-mail M.L.Toebes@uu.nl , Heidelberglaan 8, 3584 CS Utrecht.