The Supervisory Board is the University’s statutory supervisory body. The board exists of five members, who are appointed by the Minister of Education, Culture and Science for four consecutive years.
The Executive Board informs the Supervisory Board of all major developments and events taking place at Utrecht University. The Executive Board requires the approval of the Supervisory Board on the Strategic Plan, the Annual Report and the Annual Accounts.
The Supervisory Board meets with the University Council at least twice a year.
The Supervisory Board
- Prof. E. (Emmo) Meijer (chairman) has been a member of the board since 2011 and became chairman of the board on February 1, 2012. He was corporate director of R&D of DSM, Unilever and FrieslandCampina and is also professor by special appointment of Bio-organic Chemistry at Eindhoven University of Technology, with which Utrecht University has formed a strategic alliance. His other positions include ambassador of the Top Sector Chemistry, member of the Advisory council for science, technology and innovation (AWTI) and member of the Board of Governors of the KU Leuven.
- Dr. Jan van der Eijk (vice-chairman) is an alumnus of Utrecht University. He has been a member of the board since October 1, 2015. He graduated with a degree in Chemistry in 1976 and in 1980 he completed a PhD on a physical organic subject. He worked for Shell for almost thirty years in different positions relating to research, technology and business operations in the Netherlands as well as the United Kingdom and the United States. After leaving Shell he applied his knowledge and skills to helping society face the challenge of becoming more prosperous without depleting natural resources. Van der Eijk is also chairman of the Supervisory Board of Synvina B.V. and member of the Supervisory Board of Havenbedrijf Moerdijk N.V.
- K.T.V. (Karin) Bergstein MSc, MBA (president of the audit committee) has been a member of the board since January 1, 2014 and is president of the audit committee. She is a member of the Supervisory Board and Audit Committee of a.s.r. and chairman of the Supervisory Board of the Sanquin Blood Supply Foundation. Bergstein has a background in financial services and was a member of the Board of Governors of a.s.r., an Executive Director of ING Bank Nederland and ING Lease.
- A. (Joanne) Kellermann LLM (member of the audit committee) has been a member of the board since August 2014. Until February 2018 she was managing director of the Single Resolution Mechanism (SRM). The Single Resolution Board has its seat in Brussels and is responsible for drawing up resolutions and the major European banks which have been subject to supervision by the European Central Bank. Before this, since 2007, she was an Executive Director of the Netherlands Central Bank (DNB) where she was responsible for supervision of the financial sector. Kellermann also is a member of the Board of P.R.I.M.E. Finance Foundation and a member of the Board of Aflatoun International.
- Prof. Frank van der Duijn Schouten has been appointed as a member of the Utrecht University Supervisory Board with effect from 1 August 2018. Van der Duijn Schouten is emeritus professor of mathematical decision theory. Van der Duijn Schouten has held numerous administrative positions within the academic world throughout his academic career, including serving as Rector Magnificus of Tilburg University for nine years and Rector Magnificus of VU University Amsterdam from 2013 to 2015. Until 1 October 2018 he was interim dean of the Faculty of Philosophy at Erasmus University Rotterdam.