Open access (OA) provides free, digital access to the results of academic research. If you would like to know more about open access, please visit openaccess.nl. The University Library offers the following support and services in the field of open access.
Open Access Publishing
The University Library gladly advises researchers on open access publishing, for instance:
- What are rules and requirements regarding open access funding?
- The Open Access Fund for scientists employed by Utrecht University/University Medical Center Utrecht (UMCU)
- How do I meet the open access requirements of my research funder?
- How do I assess the quality of an open access journal?
- Which license should I use in open access publishing?
In addition, we make open access preservation possible via the Utrecht University Repository.
If you, as a Utrecht University/UMCU researcher, would like to start your own open access journal, you can make use of the publishing service Uopen Journals.
Open Access Fund
Since 2012 researchers at Utrecht University/UMCU may call on our Open Access Fund to have their Article Processing Charges (APCs) reimbursed. The fund covers 50% of the open access charges, provided the application meets our criteria.
Open access is only one of the many aspects of open science: the process of making the entire scholarly communication cycle more accessible and transparent. Other subjects such as open peer review and altmetrics (alternative metrics) are evolving rapidly as well. The library is closely following these developments and welcomes discussions with researchers. If you have any questions about open science please contact us via email@example.com.