Traces of slavery
Utrecht University wants to acknowledge its slavery past
In 2021, a study into the slavery past of the city of Utrecht was published. The study shows that Utrecht University (UU) also has ties to slavery.
The suffering the enslaved have been through cannot be described and the lack of recognition for this still causes pain. In the meantime, all kinds of people and institutions, including UU as well, directly and indirectly profited from colonial slavery. We have to establish that we do not know everything about our own role by a long shot, and that is saying a lot. This part of our history is underexposed. UU wants to recognise this and take responsibility, wants to account for the past, in line with an asvise written by a committee of experts in February 2022.
Research into slavery past
Internally, UU wants to facilitate new research into the slavery past, and connect research that has already been started (such as by the University Library and the University Museum into their own collections) and make them visible. UU wants to encourage debate within the institution, create awareness and provide education. Besides that, UU wants to contribute from its social role. By doing broader research into racism and the colonial past, like by investigating in a multidisciplinary way how reconciliation processes take shape.
Steering committee for initiatives regarding slavery past of UU
The Executive Board has decided to found a university-wide steering committee regarding the slavery past of Utrecht University. The steering committee will have the assignment to connect and show various faculty initiatives. A budget of 75,000 euros has been set for 2023. The steering committee will indicate what kind of budget will be required for 2024.
Committee: 'UU must acknowledge its slavery past'
In 2021, a study was published on the city of Utrecht’s slavery past. Based on that study, the Mayor of Utrecht decided to issue an apology. The study showed that Utrecht University, too, has some ties to slavery. The Executive Board asked the Committee to issue a recommendation on how to respond to the findings.
Videos Studium Generale (in Dutch)
- Wat we weten en niet weten over ons slavernijverleden
- Slavernij: hoe herstellen we historisch onrecht?
- Slavernij en institutioneel racisme
- Science Café - De witte medische blik
- Ras: tussen feit en fictie
- Tv-series ontleed: The Wire
- Voorbij de witte onschuld
- Science Snack | Voorbij witte onschuld
- Tolerantie anno nu
Articles Studium Generale (in Dutch)
- Het lang verzwegen slavernijverleden van Utrecht
- Kunnen we historisch onrecht herstellen?
- Hoe bestrijden we institutioneel racisme?
- Waarom we het moeten hebben over discriminatie en racisme in de zorg
- #Educateyourself: waar anti-racisme volgens Gloria Wekker om gaat
- We moeten vaker over 'ras' praten
- Graven in het culturele archief
- Erken hedendaags racisme