The 21st century could be described as the century of the Life Sciences: research is unravelling the great questions about life, health, disease and development. New, fundamental insights will lead to new clinical research and treatments, new medicines, and new policy in the field of nutrition and health. Utrecht University wishes to maintain its position as a leading European research university and so it established six Graduate Schools in 2005, including the Graduate School of Life Sciences. This school brings together all the training in the Master’s and PhD research programmes in Life Sciences at Utrecht University.
Interdisciplinary research and training
Research at the GSLS is highly interdisciplinary. Breakthroughs take place where physics and medicine, and chemistry, pharmacy and biology interact. A traditional faculty structure with classic mono-disciplinary degrees such as biology, chemistry and medicine is no longer appropriate. The GSLS aims to train Master’s students and PhD candidates so that they can engage in independent research in a multidisciplinary setting. So, the GSLS brings together the research expertise and facilities of the Faculty of Medicine (University Medical Center Utrecht), the Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, and the Faculty of Science for this purpose. The School has been structured along the lines of thematic, interdisciplinary programmes that correspond to the research focus of Utrecht Life Sciences.
Board of Studies
The Deans of the Faculties of Science, Medicine and Veterinary Medicine are in charge of the GSLS. They are advised by the Board of Studies (BoS) that also has the authority to decide on daily matters under the accountability of the Director of the GSLS.
Joint Life Sciences Deans
- Prof. I.W.C.E. Arends, PhD; Dean Faculty of Science, Utrecht University
- Prof. A.W. Hoes, PhD; Dean Faculty of Medicine, UMC Utrecht
- Prof. A.D.C. Jaarsma, PhD; Dean Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University
Board of Studies (BoS)
Prof. H.V.M. van Rijen, PhD; Director GSLS
Prof. J.A.G. van Strijp, PhD; University Medical Center Utrecht
- I Bally, MSc; PhD candidate
- G. Kagenaar, BSc; MSc student
- Prof. R. J. de Boer, PhD; Faculty of Science, Utrecht University
- Prof. S.M.A. Lens, PhD; UMC Utrecht
- Prof. C.M.J. Pieterse, PhD; Faculty of Science, Utrecht University
- Prof. D.J.J. Heederik, PhD; Faculty of Veterinary Medicine, Utrecht University
- Prof. A.C.G. Egberts, PhD; Director of doctoral education, GSLS
- S.B. Ebeling, PhD, Managing director of doctoral education & PhD Course Center, GSLS
Shirrinka Goubitz, PhD
Marjan Batist-de Vos (minutes)