Information for upcoming students

Good to know

Dutch residence permits are issued by the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). You cannot apply to the IND for an entry visa/residence permit for study purposes yourself. The Visa Office at Utrecht University will apply on your behalf. This means we’re your only point of contact during the residence permit application procedure.

Residence permit and/or entry visa?

Check the information below to see if you require an entry visa and/or residence permit to study in the Netherlands.

I'm from an EU/EEA country, or Switzerland

No residence permit/entry visa needed

I'm from one of these countries: Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New-Zealand, South Korea, UK, or the USA.

You need a residence permit

I'm not from the countries mentioned above

You need an entry visa and a residence permit

Do you need an entry visa and/or a residence permit? Please watch our introduction video below, to learn what the application procedure will look like.