Health insurance

Dutch law requires that everyone living in the Netherlands has adequate health insurance.

This is relevant for both EU/EEA and non-EU/EEA students. Non-EU/EEA students must provide proof they have adequate health insurance to obtain their residence permit/entry visa.

Read more about the options on the health insurance page.

Personal liability insurance

Personal liability insurance is not compulsory, but strongly recommended. It insures you against costs you are liable for if you cause damage to someone else or their possessions (for example: if you cause a traffic accident with your bicycle or as a pedestrian).

Personal liability is included in the student insurance packages we recommend for your health insurance.

Other types of insurance

  • We recommend that you take out a good travel insurance.
  • Fire and theft insurance: this is not obligatory, but most Dutch people have one. It insures your personal belongings such as audiovisual equipment, books, jewellery, clothing etc. against theft from a locked space and fire and water damage. The premium depends on the value of your personal belongings.
  • If you take a car with you, check your car insurance.