City registration

If you are staying in the Netherlands for more than four months to study, you will need to register in the Municipal Personal Records Database at the department Burgerzaken of the city of your residence. If you live in Utrecht this is: Burgerzaken, Stadsplateau 1, Utrecht

Make an appointment before you go to the Municipality

You can register by appointment only via an online appointment module set up by the Municipality (in Dutch: Burgerzaken), and need to do so as soon as possible after your arrival in the Netherlands. You can already register for an appointment between August 19th and September 27th via the online appointment module on the website of the Municipality of Utrecht

You can use this Powerpoint to guide you through the process.

Students who need a residence permit or who are applying for a Working Holiday Scheme are asked to bring proof of legal residence to their appointment:

  • If you are a student who has applied for a residence permit, we provide the Municipality with this information and you will not need to bring proof.
  • If you are applying for a Working Holiday Scheme, please bring your filled out WHS application form with you to the appointment. We will send you the form by email before the Orientation Day.


Why should I register with the municipality?

If you are staying for more than four months in the Netherlands, you are legally required to go to the city council and register as a new resident of the town in which you are living. This is a mandatory procedure irrespective of your nationality or purpose of stay. If you are moving within the Netherlands, you must also inform your (new) municipality.

The municipal personal records database (in Dutch: Basisregistratie Personen, abbreviated to 'BRP') contains information regarding all residents in the municipality. This includes personal and address details. The database is used as a source of information by various other organisations, including IND, Tax & Customs Administration, and Social Insurance Bank. These organisations rely on the address details as listed in the municipal database.

What should I bring to my appointment at the City of Utrecht?
  • A valid identification (passport or identity card).
  • A tenancy agreement, contract of sale of your home.
  • A proof of deregistration if coming from Aruba, Curaçao, St Maarten, Bonaire, Saba or St Eustatius.
I do not have a rental contract, I am living with someone else/at someone else’s address. What should I do?

In that case you must provide a Verklaring bewoning adres form (pdf) filled out  by the home owner/main resident confirming that you live at that address and a passport copy of the home owner/main resident.

How do I handle the city registration day if I live outside of Utrecht?

You have to register in the city where you live. Unfortunately, surrounding municipalities may have websites which are difficult to navigate. If you require help on how to make an appointment do not hesitate to contact Student Services us by sending an email to: