Working whilst studying

International students can work in The Netherlands under certain conditions.

EU/EEA students

As an EU/EEA-student in the Netherlands, you are free to work without restrictions. You do not need a work permit and there are no restrictions regarding working hours..

However, if you work in The Netherlands you will need to take out a Dutch health insurance policy.

If you work in the Netherlands for a minimum of 56 hours per month, you may be eligible for Dutch study finance for EU/EEA students.

Non-EU/EEA students

As a non-EU/EEA student in the Netherlands, you need a work permit in order to have a part-time job. In addition you will also need to change your health insurance policy, so that it complies with the requirements of the Dutch government. With a work permit you will be allowed to work either 16 hours per week or full time during the months of June, July and August. You will have to take several practical matters into account:

How do you acquire a work permit

You cannot apply for a work permit yourself. An employer must apply for the work permit at least 5 weeks prior to the start of your employment, so first you have to find an employer or employment agency willing to do this for you. The application is free of charge. A work permit is always issued for a specific employerexclusively for the type of work and the employer mentioned on the document itself. The organization that issues work permits is called the Employee Insurance Agency (UWV).


  • You need a residence permit before your employer can apply for a work permit. Note that the application for a residence permit usually takes approximately 2 months. After that it takes about 5 weeks to process your work permit.
  • You must have a Burger Service Number, for which you need to register with the city.
  • You are allowed to work either full-time in June, July and August OR no more than 16 hours per week throughout the academic year.
  • The work permit is valid for the same time as your residence permit. When you extend your residence permit, you also have to extend your work permit.

Please note! It can be difficult to find a job, and work permit procedures takes at least 5 weeks.

For more information, also see the Nuffic website.


If you are studying and you want to do an internship as part of your study programme, you do not need a work permit. Instead your host institution, your internship employer and you need to sign an internship agreement. You can
find a standard internship agreement here.

Part-time employment and additional income

A few suggestions for finding part-time employment:

  • Many students find a part-time job in a restaurant, bar or shop. This kind of job can be found via employment agencies (including those specially aimed at students), or via advertisements, newspapers and noticeboards.
  • The intermediary agency Campus4Work, located at De Uithof, also offers suitable vacancies. Campus4Work deals specifically in jobs for students at Utrecht University.
  • Important: if your income exceeds the extra earnings threshold, this will affect your claim to a student loan or grant. More information about additional earnings: DUO website.


The main types of insurance you should have completed are medical insurance, a home insurance and liability insurance. Always compare the terms and rates of different insurance companies before you purchase your insurance. A good insurance is important and certainly not a cost to cut back on.

More information on health insurance in the Netherlands.


Finding a job as an international in Utrecht can sometimes be challenging. TaskHero provides various jobs for non-Dutch speaking students aligned with BuddyGoDutch.