Dutch residence permits are issued by the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND). You cannot apply to the IND for an entry visa/residence permit for study yourself. Only the Dutch educational institution where you will study can do this for you. The Visa Office at Utrecht University will apply on your behalf. This means we will always be your only point of contact during the application procedure. The IND will never contact you directly.

What is my nationality?

Check the information below to see if you require an entry visa and/or residence permit to study in the Netherlands.

I'm from an EU/EEA country (or Switzerland)

Not needed

I'm from one of these countries: Australia, Canada, Japan, Monaco, New-Zealand, South Korea, U.K., U.S.A.

You need a residence permit

I'm not from the countries mentioned above

You need an entry visa and residence permit

Do you need an entry visa and/or a residence permit? Please watch our introduction video below, to learn what your application procedure will look like.

For more details about the separate steps of the application procedure, please read the applicable information below.