Health insurance

  • Your health insurance must cover medical expenses at cost. That means there can be no limit to the amount that will be covered for e.g. a doctor’s visit or hospitalisation.
  • If you are insured via social security or welfare in your own country, check whether there is a reciprocal agreement between your country and the Netherlands with regard to health insurance. Make sure that your health insurance covers the Dutch tariffs, as medical costs are (very) high!
  • In the Netherlands, make sure you always carry proof of health insurance with you. You will need it whenever you use health services in the Netherlands.

Read more about health care

EU/EEA students

We strongly advise EU/EEA students to apply for a European Health Insurance Card (EHIC). This card gives you access to medically necessary, state-provided healthcare during a temporary stay in the Netherlands. This means with an EHIC you will be reimbursed for treatments from the basic Dutch Health Insurance Act and the Long-Term Care Act package during your temporary stay here. Please make sure to check your EHIC will cover your full study period in the Netherlands as the validity of the card varies. Your health insurance provider in your home country decides what constitutes a temporary stay. 

You may need additional insurance, for instance repatriation and follow up treatments are not covered. On average repatriation in case of an accident cost 10,000 euros. For our non EU/EEA students we developed an insurance policy together with AON Student Insurance. This insurance provider also offers additional packages which you can combine with your EHIC depending on your needs. Please note it is your own responsibility to make sure you have valid and adequate insurance. The university cannot be held responsible if you are not adequately insured.

NON-EU/EEA students
  • If you are not an EU/EEA national, we recommend the following Dutch student insurance package, as the coverage meets all legal requirements in the Netherlands:
    AON: ICS Complete+
    This insurance package covers not only medical expenses and pre-existing medical conditions, but also extraordinary costs, legal aid, accidents, mental health, pre-existing psychological conditions,liability and baggage cover and household goods. The premium is approximately €1.79 per day.
  • If you prefer to keep your current private health insurance, make sure it covers your entire stay in the Netherlands and if so, if it covers the Dutch tariffs. You can compare with the Dutch student insurance packages mentioned above to see if the coverage is sufficient. Note that some insurance companies only extend foreign coverage for a few months.
  • If your current insurance is not equal to the Dutch student insurance packages mentioned above, your insurance will be insufficient and will not be accepted for your residence permit/entry visa!

Working whilst studying?

If you have a (part time) job or you are required to take out a Dutch basisverzekering (basic health insurance policy). If you do not have this, you risk being fined, and will have to pay the insurance premium retroactively. Please note, an internship which pays more than 150 euros a month or 1500 euros a year could qualify as a job and might need a Dutch basisverzekering as well (please contact us if this might be the case).

For student insurances we have a collaboration with AON Student Insurances. This insurance provider has a lot of experience with international students and offers a Basic Health Insurance policy as well. Due to their experience with international students they offer the possibility to change back to your AON student insurance as soon as you are no longer required to have a basic health insurance quickly and will not hold you to a year term. Please note, if you take out Dutch basic health insurance, you may be eligible for compensation for your insurance premium. This compensation is called healthcare benefit or healthcare allowance (zorgtoeslag).

Health & Safety

Hopefully your stay in the Netherlands will be without any health or safety problems. Most likely this will be the case. However, should you need any medical assistance or emergency services (ambulance, police or fire brigade), here is some useful information. Read more on our website for currents students