Campus life is an essential part of University College’s philosophy. As a student, therefore, you live on campus for the duration of the three year program. Students come from diverse backgrounds, and living together provides unique opportunities to learn from each other's experiences. Students are encouraged to take part in a wide array of on-campus organizations, special interest committees and contests.
The UCU Campus is situated in Utrecht, close to the university buildings on Utrecht Science Park and close to all university buildings in the historical parts of Utrecht.
At UCU, students can have breakfast, lunch and dinner in the UCU Dining Hall and Jazzman's Café. In case students prefer cooking at home, all units are equipped with kitchens, including a stove, fridge, oven, and freezer.
UCU employees work in College Hall, situated at the center of the UCU Campus. UCU Professors teach in the other buildings on Campus surrounding the quad: Newton (sciences), Locke (social sciences), and Voltaire (humanities).
UCU has multiple residence halls. Each hall is divided into different units. Between 6 and 12 students live in a unit, in which they have a private room and share a living-room, kitchen and one or more bathrooms. The units are a mix of different genders, ages and nationalities. Rooms vary in size between 12 and 20 m² and are comfortably furnished with at least a bed, a desk and a wardrobe. Most rooms are single, although some double rooms are available. While smoking is prohibited in all main campus buildings, students can express a preference for a smoking or non-smoking unit. Kitchens are fitted with cooking appliances, but students can also purchase meals in Dining Hall. Bathrooms are fitted with a shower, a toilet and a wash basin. A laundry machine and dryer are also available.
Students live on campus from the end of August until the end of June. During the months of July and August it is not possible to live on campus.
The UCU campus offers plenty opportunity for recreation. An added bonus is that University College Utrecht students are also part of Utrecht University, and can make use of everything that UU has to offer as well.
- The academic buildings have lounges, used for informal meetings and extra-curricular lectures
- Music room
- Art room
- Indoor fitness center
- Sports facilities (fully lit tennis/football court, volleyball court, basketball court, table tennis table, foosball table)
- Student garden
- The Drama room is used for performance arts courses, but also for student organised dance classes
- The UCSA College bar, run by students, is a prime location for social gatherings. Mark your calendar: Thursday night, party night.
- The Auditorium is UCU’s lecture hall, capable of holding larger audiences. Events such as lectures or debates by scholars, foreign ambassadors, politicians, business representatives, events such as UCUMUN (UCU’s model United Nations), and musical, comedy, and theatrical performances take place in the Auditorium.
- The Meditation Room offers a moment for reflection and contemplation to those seeking a spiritual time out.
- UU’s sports center Olympos offers football teams, fitness, aerobics classes, tennis courts, squash halls, and more.
- Parnassos is the cultural center of Utrecht University, and offers courses in music, dance, photography, writing, drama and expressive arts. Almost every Wednesday you can enjoy (often free) live-music in the bar. Parnassos frequently organizes comedy-nights and theatrical performances (in Dutch).
- UCU students have free access to the University Museum.
- Students are free to wander around at leisure in the beautiful Botanical Gardens of Utrecht University.