How can I work towards a Senior Teaching Qualification (SKO)? What are the criteria for obtaining an SKO? How do I know whether I am already ‘senior’?
For lecturers who want to gain more insight into the criteria for obtaining an SKO, and who want to reflect on their current position, we have a three-part offering:
- a half-day introductory meeting
- an SKO portfolio track (four long afternoons)
- a two-day writing retreat with overnight stay in a hotel.
- Target group: teachers at Utrecht University
- Language: the main language (Dutch or English) hasn't been determined yet. Please mention your preference on the registration form.
- Preferably you start with the introductory meeting, before taking part in the portfolio track or the writing retreat.
1 INTRODUCTORY MEETING
In this meeting, we will explore the meaning of “seniority in education” by looking at role models and the SKO-criteria. We will examine which activities and experiences are typically part of an SKO-portfolio. After the introductory meeting you will discuss your next step(s) with the course leaders.
- 30 January 2020 (14.00-17.00 uur hrs)
- 8 June 2020 (14.00-17.00 uur hrs)
You can apply by sending in the application form until two weeks before the meeting takes place.
2 SKO PORTFOLIO TRACK
Every meeting starts with (peer)feedback on each other’s texts for the SKO-portfolio. Based on the written text and the SKO criteria, we will discuss inspiring topics which will help you expand the content of your portfolio. At the end of the course, you will have a complete SKO portfolio that you can use for your SKO application.
The SKO-portfolio course is aimed at those lecturers with enough experience at the SKO-level and who would like support in compiling their portfolio. To finish the portfolio, participants in previous editions strongly recommend participation in the writing retreat (see below).
There are four half-day meetings. In total, you have to take into account a time-commitment of about 20 hours for the meetings (not including the writing retreat), plus however much time as you need to think about and write texts for your portfolio.
- Tuesday 29 October 2019 (15:00 - 20:00)
- Tuesday 19 November 2019 (15:00 - 20:00)
- Tuesday 17 December 2019 (15:00 - 20:00)
- Tuesday 14 January 2020 (15:00 - 20:00)
- Tuesday 4 February 2020 (optional)
Evening meals are included.
3 WRITING RETREAT
For many senior teaching finishing their SKO-portfolio is difficult due to lack of time or uncertainties about the criteria for the SKO application. Participating in the writing-retreat is an incentive and a support for finishing the SKO-portfolio.
Two days in peace to concentrate on writing your portfolio: that is what the writing retreat is about. The course leaders will be available to read your texts and provide you with feedback and support you, for example with finding suitable literature.
The writing retreat is aimed at those lecturers who fulfil the SKO-criteria and want to write/complete their SKO portfolio.
The writing retreat consists of five half-day sessions, spread over two days, including an overnight stay.
- Wednesday 26 and Thursday 27 February 2020
- Tuesday 7 and Wednesday 8 July 2020
€ 890,- (a one-night stay in a hotel is included)
You can apply by sending in the application form until three weeks before the retreat takes place.
For more information, please contact Hetty Grunefeld (see her contact details below).