An Academy of Hope
An Academy of Hope is an action research project that explores new pedagogical avenues for navigating uncertain futures amidst the planetary crisis. It aims to bring together students, policymakers, researchers, activists, and other societal actors to engage in collaborative explorations around the question: Could we imagine a good life that is not dependent on fossil fuels?
Follow An Academy of Hope
- Go to the website: https://academyofhope.sites.uu.nl/
- Read the first blog 'A journey towards the post-fossil good life begins'
With Utrecht University as its home base, the key interests lie in theorising and experimenting with:
- Pedagogical approaches that work to resist fatalism and naïve optimism with respect to the planetary crisis by helping communities of inquiry to be with the trouble and act for positive change.
- Pedagogical approaches and curricular innovations that open up space for a deep engagement with the question of the future good life.
- Pedagogical approaches and curricular innovations that establish reciprocal relationships between students and various societal actors (e.g. policymakers, activists, artists).
An Academy of Hope is funded by the Dutch Higher Education Premiums 2021, awarded by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture, and Science to the Urban Futures studio’s Mixed Classroom.
On July 6th Urban Futures Studio launched An Academy of Hope research project during an interactive live event at former prison De Lik in Utrecht.