The Freudenthal Institute for Science and Mathematics Education (FI) is a part of the Faculty of Science of Utrecht University (UU). Together with partners both within and outside the UU the FI makes an important contribution to innovation and improvement of science education in the Netherlands.
The mission of the FI is to contribute to high-quality education in science and mathematics through education research and valorisation. Successful innovation of science education depends on cooperation and sharing of knowledge between teachers, developers, support staff and other stakeholders along the developmental chain at both national and regional levels. As part of the Science Faculty of Utrecht University the FI aims to play a central part in this. The main focus of the activities of the FI is on continuous learning trajectories in secondary, higher and post-initial education.
On November 6, Steven van der Laan will defend his thesis Een varken voor iedereen: Geschiedenis van de varkensfokkerij in Nederland in de twintigste eeuw. Read more...
The FI consists of the research groups for the science subjects, the History and Philosophy of Science group (HPS) and U-Talent. We believe in the importance of strengthening and connecting the expertise of the various groups, and thereby raising the value of the institute within the field of science education. To achieve this, the FI cooperates with the Faculty of Social and Behavioural Sciences (FSW, COLUU) on continuous learning trajectories.
- The FI is an (inter)national pioneer in developing and implementing high-quality and innovative education in mathematics and science.
- The FI plays an active role in enlarging the intake of teacher training students.
- The FI is a pioneer in the field of blended learning in secondary and higher education.
- The FI promotes academic skills (History and Philosophy of Science) and normative professional skills in science education programmes.
- The FI pursues the integration of education, research and valorisation within the physical and virtual environment of a Science Teaching & Learning Lab.
- The FI looks for structural, regional cooperation with schools, aimed at the development of science skills and talents.