Entry visa / residence permit

  • An entry visa (MVV in Dutch) is a sticker in your passport issued by the Dutch Embassy or Consulate in your home country (or the country in which you legally reside) which you may need to enter the Netherlands.
  • A residence permit is a card that shows you legally reside in the Netherlands.

Whether you need an entry visa and/or a residence permit depends on your nationality:

not applicable


a residence permit

South Korea
United States
Vatican City State

an entry visa and a residence permit

All other countries

How to apply

  • Because you are a student, Utrecht University has to submit your application with the Dutch Immigration Services. Please do not take action before we inform you!
  • About 3-4 months before you start your studies, we will inform you by email that you can start preparing the required forms and documents. As of that date, the current fact sheets with step-by-step instructions will be made available.

Factsheets for students who will start their studies in September 2018

You can find the factsheets in Osiris Online Application.