• An entry visa (MVV in Dutch) is a sticker in your passport issued by the Dutch Embassy or Consulate in your home country (or the country in which you legally reside) which you may need to enter the Netherlands.
  • A residence permit allows you to reside and study in the Netherlands.

Who needs to apply

Whether you require an entry visa and/or a residence permit depends on your nationality:

not applicable


a residence permit

South Korea
United States
Vatican City State

United Kingdom (new)

an entry visa and a residence permit

All other countries

How to apply

  • Utrecht University submits the application with the Dutch Immigration Services on students' behalf. Please do not take action before we inform you!
  • If you require an entry visa and/or residence permit you will receive information and instructions via e-mail about the necessary steps about 3-4 months before you start your studies
  • Once you received the e-mail you can start preparing the required forms and documents.

Note that to obtain a residence permit you must have an adequate health insurance.