Application: Erasmus / Exchange students

Utrecht University has approximately 100 university wide Exchange partners, and numerous faculty agreements.
If your home university has an Exchange agreement with Utrecht University, then follow the application instructions on this page. 

For the UCU and UCR honours college application procedures and deadlines, please click here

How to apply

We recommend that you have completed at least 1½ years of full-time study at your home university before you apply. Please click on the drop down menu for the 5-step application procedure.

Language requirements

At Utrecht University excellent knowledge of either English or Dutch is required. Proof of language proficiency is compulsory if Dutch or English is not your native language. Consult the table below for your required proof of proficiency.

EU/Erasmus studentNon-EU student

Language proficiency form (only for Erasmus* students)

*This includes the EU, Iceland, North Macedonia, Norway, Serbia, Turkey

IETLS, TOEFL or Cambridge Certificate

Please check below for the required scores.

IETLS, TOEFL or Cambridge Certificate

Please check below for the required scores.

Students from universities located in Australia, Canada, Ireland, Malta, New Zealand, Singapore, UK, USA or South Africa are exempted from handing in a language test.
Statement home university: Your home university may issue a letter stating that you meet the requirement of CEFR B2 (Bachelor) or CEFR C1 (Master) level.There are other exemptions from handing in a language test. Please check below if you think exemptions apply. 



Please note that your home university may set earlier deadlines for nomination.

  • Deadline for students starting in September (Fall semester): April 15th
  • Deadline for students starting in February (Spring semester): September 15th

Important: These deadlines do not apply for our Honours colleges UCU and UCR and the Faculty of Humanities.
Click here for more information on UCU/UCR application and deadlines.  

Entry Visa

If you require an Entry Visa you will be contacted by us on the procedures once you are admitted. Students with the following nationality do not require an Entry Visa (MVV): EU/EEA countries, Japan, South Korea, Australia, Monaco, USA, Canada, New Zealand and Vatican City State.

If you are coming to us from the UK, please keep an eye on the latest updates regarding the Brexit on the following page: