Bringing your partner, children and pets

There is much to think about when you want to bring along your partner and children. Let's get you started.

Perhaps they wish to come over at the same time as you, or they might join you at a later stage. Either way, be sure to mention any such plans to Utrecht University as early as possible. This will allow your HR contact to give you the best advice on how to deal with all the necessary paperwork. The nationality of your partner and/or children will determine which procedure applies to them.


When your partner accompanies you, generally he or she will have the same access rights to the labour market as you do. Sometimes Utrecht University may be able to help or provide suggestions for your partner to find a job. Also, check for vacancies on Utrecht Region job portal. Read more about bringing your family on Euraxess.

Child playing outside


If you have children up to the age of 18, you may be entitled to supplementary child benefit. This is a contribution towards the costs of your children.
Childcare facilities in the Netherlands are rather expensive, but people with lower or middle incomes can generally apply for an additional childcare benefit.

Please be aware that there are (long) waiting lists for schools and daycare.

Dutch education system:



Importing pets

If you wish to bring along your cat or dog, it will need its own pet passport. To obtain one, you must have a veterinarian in the country you're moving from, examine your pet. Read all about the procedure Importing pets.