Immigration system & procedures

Procedures regarding residence and work permits

Depending on your nationality and the length of your stay, you will require a visa and/or a residence permit to be allowed to stay in the Netherlands. If you are staying for a period of more than 90 days, the Immigration and Naturalisation Service (IND) will have to be informed. The IND is a Dutch government service that has been set the task of executing the Dutch aliens’ policy.  IND draws up immigration procedures and assesses the applications of all foreigners wishing to stay in the Netherlands for more than 90 days. The IND has made strict agreements with Utrecht University which include an accelerated application procedure. All IND applications regarding employees or visitors of Utrecht University must be submitted by way of Utrecht University.

Below, please find further information about all aspects of immigration into the Netherlands.

  • Visa: Short Stay Visa (tourist visa), Residence Permit, Combination Visa
  • Legalisation: Translation, Legalisation, Verification
  • Work Permit: For whom and why, Employer applies for work permit with Social Security Agency UWV
  • Upon arrival: Picking up your residence permit, Registration with the Municipal Personal Records Database (BPR), Applying for a Tax and Social Insurance Number, Opening a bank account.