Costs of living & benefits
Average Costs of living and the benefits of living in the Netherlands
Below you can find an overview of the cost of living in the Netherlands. The estimated costs of living shows the costs of 3 different kind of households: a single, a two person and a family household (two adults and two children).
The average cost are per month is in euros.
|Average costs of living||Single Household||Two-person Household||Family household (two adults & two children)|
(additional & dentist)
|Insurance, legal liability||10||15||30|
(Education is free, only a “contribution”)
Average of 6.000 - 7.500 euro per year
Average of 6-10 euro per hour per child.
3-8 euros per month
The above mentioned costs are based on:
The Benefits of living in the Netherlands
There are a lot of benefits of living in the Netherlands. Below you can find an overview.
- Rent benefits (Huurtoeslag): If you have a rental home, you can apply for rent benefits (based on your income). Click for more information.
- Health care benefits (Zorgtoeslag), based on your income. Click for more information.
- Child benefit (Kinderbijslag). If you have children it’s possible that you can receive Dutch child benefit. Click for more information.
- 0-5 years old: 269 per quarter
- 6-11 years old: 328 per quarter
- 12-17 years old: 385 per quarter
- Child care benefits (Kinderopvangtoeslag), based on your income. Click for more information.
Benefits, working in the Netherlands and at Utrecht University
- Paid leave (Doorbetaald verlof) - NL
- Collective closing of buildings in holidays - UU
- Leave for national holidays - UU
- Special arrangements for leave (Buitengewoon verlof) - UU
- Care leave (Zorgverlof) - NL
- Parental leave (Ouderschapsverlof) - NL
- Maternity leave (Zwangerschaps- en bevallingsverlof) - NL
- Salary including:
- 8% holiday pay - UU
- 8,3% year-end bonus - UU
- Costs of commuting (Reiskosten woon-werkverkeer) - UU
- Extras for care and childcare - NL
- Health care insurance (collectivity discount) - UU
- Other insurances and discount - UU
- Retirement arrangements - UU
- Primary and secondary schools are free of charge - NL
(schools have the right to ask for a contribution)