Facts and figures
Organisation, research and education at the Institute for Marine and Atmospheric research Utrecht (IMAU) in facts and figures.
The IMAU is organized in:
- Five research themes
- Our Master’s programme in Climate Physics
- The Buys Ballot Research School for Fundamental Processes in the Climate System (BBOS)
The IMAU is based in the Faculty of Science, department of Physics, with a significant contribution from the section Coastal Research of the Faculty of Geosciences.
Staff members (31 December 2021)
- Total research staff: 68 fte, of which 31 fte PhD candidates
- Support staff: 9 fte
Our research has five main topics: Ice and Climate, Atmospheric Dynamics, Oceans and Climate, Coastal and Shelf Sea Dynamics and Atmospheric Physics and Chemistry.
Publications in 2021
- Scientific publications: 111
- Dissertations: 5
IMAU researchers made more than 40 media appearances in 2021.
Our researchers are active teachers in the bachelor and master programmes of our university.
We contribute to:
- several optional courses in the Bachelor’s programme Physics
- the two-year research Master's programme Climate Physics
Number of Master's students
In academic year 2021-2022 the Master's programme Climate Physics had 105 students in total, of which 41 were first year Master students, 47% were female and 41% were international.
Number of first year Climate Physics Master students in academic year:
- 2018-2019: 34
- 2019-2020: 29
- 2020-2021: 40
- 2021-2022: 41