The Holland Scholarship is financed by the Dutch Ministry of Education, Culture & Science and Dutch research universities and universities of applied sciences. The scholarship is meant for international students from outside the European Economic Area (EEA = the EU countries, Iceland, Liechtenstein and Norway) who wish to pursue a master’s degree in Holland.
Download the flyer (pdf).
To be eligible for a Holland Scholarship, you must
- Not hold an EU/EEA passport and not be eligible for support under the Dutch system of study grants and loans
- Never before have been enrolled at an educational institution in the Netherlands
- Have applied for an international master’s programme at Utrecht University with a start date of September 1, 2018
- Meet the specific entry requirements of the programme
The scholarship amounts to € 5,000. You will receive this in the first year of your studies as a single disbursement, even if you are enrolled in a two year programme.
Number of scholarships
23 scholarships are available for the 2018-2019 academic year.
Prospective students who wish to be considered for the scholarship must apply before February 1 (00:00 Dutch time). Your application for a scholarship will only be processed if you have submitted an application for a Master’s programme as well.
As the scholarship deadline is February 1, you will not be informed whether you have been awarded the scholarship prior to this date and not before you have been (un)conditionally admitted to the programme.
Your application will be assessed on the following criteria:
- Academic background as demonstrated in your application to the Master’s programme
- Your motivation explaining the relevance of your time in the Netherlands and at Utrecht University to your future goals
- The quality and feasibility of your financial plan
How to Apply
After submitting your application for the Master’s programme non-EU/EEA students have the option to submit an application for the Holland Scholarship. You will need to upload the following documents:
- Motivation letter explaining the relevance of your time in the Netherlands and at Utrecht University to your career goals
- A statement of financial resources demonstrating you can cover the remaining cost
Please note that students starting their programme in February are not eligible for a Holland Scholarship.
- Submit an application for a Master’s programme; if you do not do this first, your Holland Scholarship application will simply be deleted.
- After submitting an application for a Master’s programme, you can go to Osiris Online Application.
- Log in with your Osiris username and password.
- Click on the link 'New application'.
- Answer the questions and upload your motivation letter and statement of financial resources.
- Submit your application.
The Holland Scholarship is made available by: