Finding a place to stay
⚠ This page provides information on housing and what to expect. We advise you to take the housing situation in Utrecht into account when considering applying to Utrecht University. Please note that if you have not found housing before the start of your studies in Utrecht, we advise you to reconsider your decision to study in Utrecht.
The availability of student housing in Utrecht is limited and in high demand, especially during the first months of the academic year. As a student, you yourself are responsible for arranging your housing.
It is not uncommon for Dutch and international students to search for several months and move from one temporary home to another before they find accommodation for a longer term. Because finding a home can take a lot of time and effort, it is one of the first things to arrange when you are planning to study in Utrecht. You can find more information about what you can expect and how to start below.
1. Housing in Utrecht
- Students are responsible for arranging housing themselves. Dutch universities do not own student housing.
- The Netherlands faces a housing shortage. Due to the high demand it is very difficult and time-consuming to find housing.
- Costs for housing such as the rent and additional fees can be higher than you are used to in your home country.
- The Netherlands is a small country and is well connected by public transport. Many students live in towns and cities surrounding Utrecht.
4. What can I do now?
Here are a few things you can already do to prepare for your search for housing:
- Familiarise yourself with the housing situation and account for this in your decision to study in Utrecht. Make use of our website, webinars and join our open days.
- Build your network in the Netherlands. If you have friends or family in the Netherlands, reach out to them to build a network that could help you in your search.
- Sign up for waiting-list housing.The largest housing provider in Utrecht (SSH) offers unfurnished accommodation to the person with the longest registration time. The waiting list is currently 24 to 30 months. If you plan to stay in Utrecht for more than one year we advise you to register now. This may help you to find housing later on, in your second or third year of studies.
Questions? You are always welcome to contact us via StudentServices@uu.nl.