Disability and studying

Utrecht University aims to ensure that all students feel welcome and receive the support they need to make the most of their studies. If you have a disability, you can apply for special facilities and support.

Utrecht University defines a disability as a chronic disorder (diagnosed by a certified professional) that may hinder a student’s ability to participate fully in (higher) education.

Examples include:

  • Dyslexia
  • AD(H)D
  • A chronic illness
  • A physical (visual, auditory, or motor) impairment
  • Autism (ASD)
  • Chronic mental health disorders


There are various provisions, facilities and support services available to students with a disability at Utrecht University:

Advising and Counselling

If you encounter a problem or are looking for personal advice during your studies, you can contact a study advisor, a student psychologist, a student counsellor or your tutor.

Practical measures / special facilities

We strongly advise you to contact the study advisor of the programme to which you are applying – well in advance of the start of your course – to inquire about the possibilities. You can discuss whether you are eligible for certain measures with the study advisor. One example of a practical measure is extra time when sitting exams.

Financial assistance

If your studies are delayed as a result of circumstances beyond your control (e.g. disability), you may be eligible for various types of financial assistance. Many of these depend on whether you are eligible for a Dutch student grant (from DUO). 


Please contact your study advisor well before you start your degree programme to discuss your situation and determine which support options are available to you during your studies. These may differ from the services you had access to at a previous university or school. Agreements about these special services will be formalised in a contract. It is important to seek contact as soon as possible to ensure that there is enough time to make the necessary arrangements. You may have to request support again when starting your master’s degree programme. You can check this with the study advisor of your master’s programme.

You can contact the study advisor for your degree programme via your Faculty Student Desk

Student psychologists

The student psychologists at UU offer short-term help and treatment for study-related or personal problems.

Other support services

  • Career Services
  • Skills Lab Writing Centre
  • Educational Consultancy and Professional Development (smart study techniques, individual coaching)
  • Academic Support Advisor (study choice, master’s selection)

You can find more information on our workshops page. 


The summary of all buildings provides information on accessibility for each building, including wheelchair entrances, lifts and quiet rooms.

If you encounter problems yourself (e.g. key cabinets for lifts that are too high, thresholds that are too high, etc.), you can report this by contacting the  Facility Service Centre (FSC).

More information and contact

  • Contact your study advisor, a student psychologist or student counsellor.
  • Studying without Limitations is a peer-to-peer group for students with a disability. The members of this platform are experts by experience and are happy to share their knowledge with you.
  • Looking for information on housing? See the UU housing webpage (general information for international students) and the SSH Wonen op Maat web page (information about housing for various target groups with either a disability, a specific background or a special housing need).