UES - Law, Economics and Governance International Talent Scholarship
UES has an additional track for international students who have applied for a master’s programme offered by the Faculty of Law, Economics and Governance (LEG), the UES/Law, Economics and Governance International Talent Scholarship (UES-LEGITS). Both EU/EEA students and non-EU/EEA students can apply for UES-LEGITS.
This scholarship offers a number of highly talented prospective students the opportunity to pursue a degree in one of the English-taught master’s programmes of the Graduate School of Law, Economics and Governance. With this selective scholarship programme, the Faculty aims to contribute to and invest in talented international students who have shown the highest achievement in their career so far. This can be based on their academic quality and results from preceding education or the student’s societal engagement or career vision. Utrecht University promotes a more diverse and international classroom. The UES-LEGITS scholarships is a means of the Faculty of Law, Economics and Governance to do so. Approximately six UES-LEGITS scholarships are awarded each year.
Criteria for eligibility
Eligible candidates will be selected for a scholarship based on the following criteria:
- Your academic quality and results of your previous education, as evidenced by grades, test scores, publications, letters of recommendation etc.
- Your career vision and promise in the proposed field of study.
- Your societal engagement (e.g. extracurricular activities).
- The quality and relevance of your motivation letter for the master’s programme.
- The quality of the application itself (completeness, accuracy, consistency).
To be awarded this scholarship, you should:
- possess a non-Dutch secondary education degree.
- have been admitted to one of the English-taught master’s programmes of the Graduate School of Law, Economics and Governance with a start date of 1 September 2024.
Failure to meet one or more of these criteria automatically means you are not eligible for this scholarship.
- For students who will have to pay the statutory tuition fee (EU/EEA students): around €11,000.
- For students who will have to pay the institutional tuition fee (non-EU/EEA students): the tuition fee plus the income required for a period of one year linked to a residence permit for study as determined by the IND (Immigration and Naturalisation Service).
The scholarship can be renewed for the second year of two-year master’s programmes.
Prospective students who wish to be considered for the scholarship must apply for admission to the programme and the scholarship before February 1st 23:59 CET. The application portal will close at this time. Your application for a scholarship will only be processed if you have first submitted an application for a master’s programme in Osiris Online Application. You can start your application from 1 November 2023.
How to apply
- To submit an application for a master’s programme: if you do not do this first, your UES-LEGITS application will be deleted without notice.
- After submitting an application for a master’s programme, you can proceed to Osiris Online Application.
- Log in with your OSIRIS username and password.
- Click on the ‘New application’ link.
- Answer the UES-LEGITS questions and upload the requested document UES-LEGITS personal statement (PDF).
- Submit your application.
You will not be informed whether you have been awarded the scholarship prior to the scholarship deadline and not before you have been (un)conditionally admitted to the programme. We aim to publish the results by mid-April. If you have applied for one of the selective master’s programmes at the Utrecht University School of Governance, you will receive the outcome after the selection procedure (end of May/beginning of June).
- For general information about the UES-LEGITS, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For information about the admission process and applications for a master’s programme at the Faculty of Law, Economics and Governance, please see 'Admission and Application' for each master's programme.
- Applicants to the European Governance programme are eligible for a UES-LEGITS scholarship for their year at Utrecht University. They can apply for the scholarship via Osiris Online application, after they applied for the Master’s programme via Studielink.