Privacy statement for job applicants
Utrecht University attaches great value to the privacy of job applicants. In this privacy statement for job applicants, we wish to be clear and transparent about the way we handle your personal data.
What rules apply to the processing of personal data of job applicants?
When processing the personal data of job applicants, Utrecht University is bound by legislation.
This privacy statement concerns all processing activities of personal data that Utrecht University carries out as part of the job application procedure.
- Personal data: data that directly or indirectly provide information about you. Within the framework of the job application process these include: name, address, date of birth, gender, telephone number, email address, CV and motivation.
- Processing: the term ‘processing’ is the collective term for everything the personal data can be used for. It not only refers to collecting the data but also to, for instance, registering, structuring, storing, editing, consulting, forwarding and deleting them.
- Processing responsibility: Utrecht University is responsible for the processing of all personal data that are being processed by (order of) Utrecht University.
Processing of personal data after an application
When you apply for a job with us, we process your personal data. In this way we can, for example, invite you for a job interview. Your data (motivation letter, curriculum vitae and any other documents provided for this purpose) enable us to get the best possible picture of you. We may also use data provided by you on others about referees to obtain references.
It is good to know that a Google and social media search may be part of the procedure. We will always discuss the results with you.
For all this, we ask your explicit permission. You can indicate your consent in the digital application form.
- You always have the right to withdraw this consent.
- Utrecht University will never provide information to third parties. Except when obliged to do so by law, or when this is necessary for the application procedure.
Retention period personal data
After completion of the application procedure, Utrecht University will keep the documents and data provided by you for one year. Should another suitable vacancy arise within that period, we may approach you for that. After this year, your data will be deleted. If you would like to see, amend or have your personal data removed, please send a message to firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following rights apply to the processing of personal data:
- Right to access and copy: you have the right to access and copy all of the personal data we keep about you.
- Right to rectification: if your data are inaccurate, incomplete or in breach of the law, you have the right to have them rectified.
- Right to erase: you have the right to have your data erased if you object to the processing of these data.
- Right to restrict processing: in specific cases you can request us to restrict the processing of your personal data.
Whom can I address my questions or complaints to?
In case of questions or complaints regarding the processing of personal data, please contact the organisational unit you applied to or contact the Data Protection Officer via email@example.com.
This privacy statement was last updated on 31 May 2023.