Working while studying

International students can work in the Netherlands under certain conditions. On this page you can find more information about working while studying.   

Working while studying

Work permit


If you are employed, you are required by law to carry the Dutch ‘basisverzekering’ (Basic health insurance). The cost of this insurance is higher than a private student insurance. For more information you can visit the website of the Nuffic. To apply, you can contact an insurance company, or you can apply for the collective UU insurance with Ohra (tel. 020-4004040). Due to these higher costs, it may be more cost-effective to work full time during the summer months rather than a few hours per week during the academic year. In that case you can limit the cost of the higher insurance fee to the three summer months (June, July, August), and you can have the cheaper student insurance for the remainder of the academic year. 


If you have a job and do not apply for a 'basisverzekering', please note that you will be fined. The fine is € 402,24, and you will also be charged the monthly fee for the 'basisverzekering' from the date you started working. Needless to say this can cost you a lot of money, so please make sure that you apply for the 'basisverzekering' when you get a job! 

Income tax

The employer must deduct from your gross wages income tax and ‘social premiums’ that provide disability pay and unemployment benefits. In principle, the employer will deduct these 'social premiums' from your pay before you get it. As an employee you will also be insured against the consequences of an accident on the job. In some cases you may be required to file a tax return. Please refer to the website of de Belastingdienst  (tax authorities). 

Burger Service Number 

The Burger Service Number (BSN) is a unique identification number. You receive this number automatically when you register with the city. You need this number for several governmental institutions, such as the tax office. Your employer also needs this number to be able to pay your wages. 

Finding a job

Finding a job as an international in Utrecht can sometimes be challenging. TaskHero  provides various jobs for non-Dutch speaking students aligned with BuddyGoDutch. 

Part-time employment and additional income 

A few suggestions for finding part-time employment: 

  • Many students find a part-time job in a restaurant, bar or shop. This kind of job can be found via employment agencies (including those specially aimed at students), or via advertisements, newspapers and noticeboards. 
  • Job vacancies at the Utrecht Science Park
  • Important: if your income exceeds the extra earnings threshold, this will affect your claim to a student loan or grant. More information about additional earnings: DUO website