At Utrecht University research is carried out within the faculties' research institutes, the research schools and the Graduate Schools.
Research conducted at the faculties of Utrecht University is carried out within the research institutes. Each research institute is led by a Director of Research, who is responsible for the level of the research and the academic orientation of the institute.
Utrecht University participates in a large number of inter-university research schools in which research institutes from different universities collaborate. It is the coordinating university for ten of these research schools.
All Master's students and PhD candidates at Utrecht University are assigned to one of the University's seven Graduate Schools. Each School comprises a number of Master's and PhD programmes in related areas, which creates a stimulating context in which Master's students, PhD candidates and researchers can meet and interact.
Seven Graduate Schools
Utrecht University has the following Graduate Schools:
- Graduate School of Geosciences
- Graduate School of Humanities
- Graduate School of Law, Economics and Governance
- Graduate School of Life Sciences, met daaraan gerelateerd: Veterinary School, School of Pharmacy
- Graduate School of Natural Sciences
- Graduate School of Social and Behavioural Sciences
- Graduate School of Teaching