The Graduate School of Natural Sciences offers 12 full Master's programmes and 8 PhD programmes. It is 1 of 8 Graduate Schools of Utrecht University and embedded into the Faculty of Science. Each research institute offers 1 PhD programme and several Master's programmes.
Prof. G.T. Barkema, Vice Dean of Education of the Faculty of Science.
The Board of Studies (BoS) is responsible for the day-to-day management of the School and the quality of the GSNS Master's and PhD programmes. The BoS is formed by the Degree Directors of the Master's programmes.
Prof. A.H.L.M. (Toine) Pieters (Chair): Degree director History and Philosophy of Science
Dr. G.R. (Gil) Cavalcanti: Degree director Mathematical Sciences
Dr. A.J. (Aarnout) van Delden: Degree director Physics
Dr. J. (Jurriaan) Hage: Degree director Computing Science and Information Science
Dr. A. (Andrei) Petoukhov: Degree director Chemical Sciences
Salma Ismaili, BSc (Student representative)
Anne de Wildt, BSc, (Student representative)
G.A. (Gerjanne) Heek, MSc (Secretary)
Applied Data Science, Prof. A.P.J.M. (Arno) Siebes
Artificial Intelligence, Prof. M.M. (Mehdi) Dastani
Business Informatics, Dr. F. (Fabio) Dalpiaz and Prof. H.A. (Hajo) Reijers
Climate Physics, Dr. A.J. (Aarnout) van Delden
Computing Science, Prof. W.S. (Wouter) Swierstra
Experimental Physics, Prof. R.J.M. (Raimond) Snellings
Game and Media Technology, Prof. R.C. (Remco) Veltkamp
History and Philosophy of Science, Prof. L.T.G. (Bert) Theunissen
Human Computer Interaction, Prof. J.F.M. (Judith) Masthoff
Mathematical Sciences, Dr. G.R. (Gil) Cavalcanti
Nanomaterials Science, Dr. A. (Andrei) Petoukhov
Theoretical Physics, Prof. C. (Cristiane) de Morais Smith
The coordinators are the principal points of contact for all Master's students.
The coordinator advises students on their individual Master's Programmes or pre-Master's Programme, can be a conduit for administrative affairs and quality management, and gives advice on admissions requests.
Applied Data Science Dr. M.W. (Mel) Chekol
Artificial Intelligence Prof. F.J. (Floris) Bex and Prof. Pinar Yolum Birbil
Business Informatics Dr. S.J. (Sietse) Overbeek and Dr. G. (Gerard) Wagenaar
Climate Physics Dr. W.J. (Willem Jan) van de Berg
Computing Science Dr. S.W.B. (Wishnu) Prasetya and Dr. Marjan van den Akker
Experimental Physics Dr. G.A. (Gerhard) Blab
Game and Media Technology Dr. A. (Anja) Volk and Dr. R.J. (Roland) Geraerts
History and Philosophy of Science Dr. D.M. (David) Baneke
Human Computer Interaction Dr. E. L. (Egon) van den Broek
Mathematical Sciences W.F. (Wilfred) de Graaf, MSc
Nanomaterials Science Dr. E. (Egbert) Mulder
Theoretical Physics Dr. J. (Joost) de Graaf and Dr. U.U. (Umut) Gursoy
Each of the Scientific Directors is responsible for the PhD programme of the institute listed. Together as a board, they advise the GSNS Board of Studies.
Prof. A.P. (Allard) Mosk, Debye Institute for Nanomaterials Science
Prof. M.R. (Michiel) van den Broeke, Institute for Marine and Atmospheric Research
Prof. S.J.G. (Stefan) Vandoren, Institute for Theoretical Physics
Prof. R.H.H.G. (René) van Roij, Mathematical Institute
Prof. M.J. (Marc) van Kreveld, Utrecht Institute for ICT Research
Prof. W.R. (Wouter) van Joolingen, Freudenthal Institute for Science and Mathematics Education
Prof. R.J.M. (Raimond) Snellings, Institute for Gravitational and Subatomic Physics
The board of examiners is responsible for the quality of tests and exams within the school. Its members each represent a cluster of Master's programmes.
- Dr. E.R. (Elwin) Savelsbergh - Chair
- Dr. S. (Silja) Renooij - Member, Artificial Intelligence
- Prof. dr. ir. G.J.M. (Guus) Velders - Member, Chair Physics
- Dr. G. (Guido) Bacciagaluppi - Member, History and Philosophy of Science
- Prof. dr. mr. H. (Henry) Prakken - Member, Information Science and Computer Science
- Dr. M. (Marc-Etienne) Moret - Member, Chemical Sciences
- Prof. dr. E.P (Erik) van den Ban - Member, Mathematical Sciences
- Dr. M. (Michael) Behrisch - Member, Applied Data Science
- Dr. J.A. (Jan Andries) Post - Non-Faculty member
- R. (Ruben) Rosen Jacobson, MSc - Secretary
The Education Committee independently advises the Board of Studies of the GSNS on the quality of the Master's programmes of the School.
For questions about the GSNS Education Committee please contact OC-GSNS@uu.nl.
The members of the Committee:
- N.A. (Natasha) Alechina, PhD, Artificial Intelligence
- H.M. (Hieke) Huistra, PhD, History and Philosophy of Science
- G.C. (Inge) van de Weerd, PhD, Information Sciences
- D. (Deb) Panja, PhD, Computing Science (Chair)
- B.H. (Ben) Erné, PhD, Chemical Sciences
- Prof. R. (Rob) Bisseling, Mathematical Sciences
- A. (Alessandro) Grelli, PhD, Physics
- H. (Heysem) Kaya, PhD, Applied Data Science
- C. (Chiara) Lacroix, BSc, student representative, History and Philosophy of Science
- K. (Koen) van den Helder, BSc, student representative, Chemical Sciences
- J. (Jim) Vollebregt, BSc, student representative, Mathematical Sciences
- B.E. (Björn) van Zwol, BSc, student representative, Physics
- S. (Sieds) Minnema, BSc, student representative, Information Science
- E.P. (Erwin) Glazenburg, BSc, student representative Computing Science
- C. (Chris) Slewe, BSc, student representative, Artificial Intelligence
- M.M.J. (Mirthe) Hendriks, BSc, student representative Applied Data Science
Secretary: M. (Monica) van der Garde, MSc, Graduate School of Natural Sciences
The Education Advisory Committees (Opleidingsadviescommissies) advise the Education Council on the specific Master's programmes. The Chairs of the Education Advisory Committees (or a representative), are members of the Education Committee.
The Board of Admissions controls the admission procedures of all programme and exchange students, as well as all non-specific scholarship procedures.