Europe in the World
Our researchers study the international history of Europe and its relations with the wider world from the early modern period until the present. The history of Europe is marked by wars and crises as well as phases of international cooperation and even integration. Our aim is to uncover their driving forces by analysing the role of transnational ideas and networks, state- and non-state actors, and (multilateral) institutions and policies.
European multilateralism and integration
The focus of the research is on European multilateralism and integration, both within certain regions, ideological blocs and international organisations as well as between them. We study the rise of multilateralism within the Warsaw Pact and the OECD and look at how relations between East and West have evolved over time. We also explain past outcomes of decision-making processes within specific policy areas, such as the energy, agricultural and environmental policies of the European Community. Furthermore, the foreign relations of empires and states in a changing historical context are investigated.
Projects include the foreign policies of early modern states and the role of ideological networks as well as the relations between Germany (both East and West) and the Netherlands, and the Netherlands and Israel during and after the Cold War.
- Economic history, Energy Policy, European Energy Cooperation, European Identity, History of European Integration, French European Politics, International Energy Agency, Cold War, New Cold War History, Organisation for Economic Cooperation and Development, East-West Trade (Energy), Political Economy
- Alliances, Conference on Security and Cooperation in Europe, Détente, Diplomacy, Cold War, New Cold War History, Eastern Europe, Warsaw Pact
- History of International Relations, Cold War, New Cold War History, Diplomacy, International Politics, European History, Change of Regimes, Dutch Foreign Policy, Dutch-Spanish relations, Spanish Contemporary History
- History of International Relations, New Cold War History, New Diplomatic History, Cold War, The Balkans, Eastern Europe, Romania, Greece
- History of European Integration, European History, Consumerism, Political History
- History of International Relations, History of European Integration
- European History, History of European Integration, Political History 19th / 20th Century, Rural History, Environmental History, History of International Relations
- Political History, History of International Relations, Consumerism, Politics of the European Union, European Union Lobbying, History of European Integration, Theory and History of Representation
European integration | Multilateralism | Cold War | International Organisations | Transnational actors | Energy | Environmental and consumer governance | New diplomatic history