Interested in our programme? Apply now!
Top rated programme
Mathematical Sciences has been judged as a 'Top Rated' Master's programme by the national Master guide (Keuzegids Masters) of 2018!
Become a desired Mathematician
This research oriented Master’s will provide you with a rich toolkit of creative problem solving skills that will turn you into a desired scientist, both in and outside academia. You will dive deep into mathematics, develope genuine research skills in pure, applied and industrial areas and learn to think out of the box.
Choose from an exceptional list of courses
This Master's is part of the national Mastermath Programme, a collaboration of Dutch Mathematics Departments who joined efforts to enhance their Master's programmes. Due to this collaboration you can benefit from an exceptional list of mathematical courses, offered either by Utrecht University or another Dutch University. Check the courses page for more information and a full overview of the courses you can choose from.
We combine our course offerings with personal and small-scale teaching, including:
- a lively colloquium with distinguished international speakers;
- research training in small group projects in pure-, applied- and industrial mathematics;
- a unique special training in using historical sources;
- student seminars in which you practice your own scientific presentation skills;
- collective learning of very advanced topics in pure or applied mathematics.
Personalize your Master's: choose your track
Within this Master's you can choose from 6 different tracks, allowing you to tailor the programme to your own personal interest.
- Algebraic Geometry and Number Theory
- Differential Geometry, Topology and Lie Theory
- Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems
- Applied Mathematics, Complex Systems and Scientific Computing
- Probability and Statistics
You can also choose to do a Research project in History of Mathematics.
Double Master Degree
If you are up for it, you can also opt for a double Master's degree by combining this Master's with another Master's from the Graduate School of Natural Sciences (e.g. Theoretical Physics, Climate Physics or Computing Science).
The Mathematical Sciences programme will prepare you for a challenging career, either in or outside academia. Mathematicians are desired employees in today's job market since they can easily deal with complex problems and large data sets in an abstract way. About 40% of our students continue with a PhD in mathematics or related research areas such as imaging or physics (in recent years at Harvard, London, Oxford, Stanford, etc). Many find employment in a research oriented environment at governments or in industry. Work fields include risk analysis, security, forensics, consultancy, data analytics, IT, logistics and more.
- Degree: This Master's programme is officially registered under its name in the Central Register of Higher Education Study Programmes
- Title: MSc
- Master's degree in: Mathematische Wetenschappen
- Programme: Mathematical Sciences
- Accredited by the NVAO
- Croho code:
- Language of instruction:
- Part- or full-time status:
- 2 years
- Credits: 60 credits equals one year full-time study load (European Credit Transfer System, ECTS)
- Start of studies:
- Application deadline:
- September: Dutch & EU/EER students: 1 June 2019
- September: Non-EU/EEA students: 1 April 2019
- February: Dutch & EU/EER students: 15 October 2019
- February: Non-EU/EEA students: 1 September 2019
- Tuition fees:
- Graduate school:
- Natural Sciences