Are you interested in using mathematics as the speaking language for areas like economics, physics, biology, and data science? Or as a challenging game for creative problem solving (like how to use the distortion of mobile phone signals to estimate the size of raindrops)? Do you want to become a skilled professional, trained to create the models and business processes necessary for this computerized world? Then this Master's might fit into the equation!
Become a desired Mathematician
The research oriented Master’s programme Mathematical Sciences will provide you with a rich toolkit of creative problem solving skills that will turn you into a desired scientist, both in and outside academia. You will dive deep into mathematics, develop genuine research skills in pure, applied and industrial areas and learn to think out of the box.
Choose from an exceptional list of courses
This Master's is part of the national Mastermath programme, a collaboration of Dutch mathematics departments who joined efforts to enhance their Master's programmes. Due to this collaboration you can benefit from an exceptional list of mathematical courses, offered either by Utrecht University or another Dutch University.
Personalize your Master's: choose your track
Within the Master's you have a lot of freedom to tailor the programme to your own interests. You can choose one of the following tracks to focus on:
- Algebraic Geometry and Number Theory
- Differential Geometry, Topology and Lie Theory
- Differential Equations and Dynamical Systems
- Applied Mathematics, Complex Systems and Scientific Computing
- Probability and Statistics
You can also choose to do a Research project in History of Mathematics.
Why in Utrecht
- Personal and small-scale teaching, including a lively colloquium with distinguished international speakers;
- Utrecht University's Mathematical Institute provides you with a stimulating research environment that offers opportunities for interaction between different fields, such as physics, biology, and technological applications.
- Our Mathematical Institute is the largest of its kind in the Netherlands and is known both nationally and internationally for the high quality of its staff, for teaching and scientific research.
- Extensive national and international network of contacts to benefit from. You’ll have the opportunity to attend lectures by visiting mathematicians, and pursue your studies at other universities abroad.
- Mathematische Wetenschappen (MSc)
- Language of instruction:
- Mode of study:
- Study duration:
- 2 years
- September, February
- Tuition fees:
- Dutch and other EU/EEA students (statutory fee, full-time) 2023-2024: € 2,314
Non-EU/EEA students (institutional fee) 2023-2024: € 21,736
More information about fees
- Croho code:
- Accredited by the NVAO
- Graduate school:
- Natural Sciences
- Request a brochure