Call for proposals - Jij, ik, wij onderzoeken ons onderwijs
On Thursday 9 March 2023, UU's premier education event will take place: the OnderwijsFestival. The OnderwijsFestival is the new name of the Onderwijsparade. At this event, teachers, students and staff meet in various sessions to exchange ideas and gain inspiration on the quality of and developments in education. At this event – same as the previous 4 years – special attention will be paid to teachers and staff who are doing research on their own teaching (Scholarship of Teaching and Learning, SoTL) and want to share their (research-informed) plans, progress and results.
Teachers from all disciplines are invited to present their projects aimed at promoting student learning. This entails educational projects that are research-informed (i.e. by building upon educational literature) or have themselves researched education in a systematic and research-based manner.
Call for presentations & posters
We invite teachers to submit an abstract on such projects and to share plans, progress or results. Teachers whose abstracts are selected, will be asked to present a pitch or (in case of a finished project) a poster during the OnderwijsFestival. There will be time for questions and discussion about the projects during the event.
- Presentation: a presentation describes a planned or just started research-informed educational project. The aim here is to receive input or sharpen the teaching improvement or research design. Presentations will be arranged thematically in parallel sessions.
- Poster: a poster describes a completed research-informed educational project. The poster describes the teaching change, the research method, the results and recommendations for other teachers. The poster is shown and explained during a poster session. Poster presenters are also asked to write an extended abstract for the abstract book published in UU's Teaching and Learning Collection.
The abstract is assessed on the extent to which it:
- is aimed at improving teaching and student learning (in a specific or broad sense)
- is based on a systematic, empirical approach or theoretical-conceptual approach, i.e.:
- it builds on and uses existing knowledge, for example experiences or relevant literature and theory;
- it describes methods used for research on teaching and student learning or educational approaches (related to the field) in general;
- (for posters only) it provides a clear description of the results and the conclusions that can be drawn from the results;
- has a clear focus and structure.
Deadline: Submit your contribution for this call by Friday 27 January 2023, 12h00. Submitters will hear by 10 February whether they can develop their abstract into a poster.
From 8 to 11 November 2023, the ISSOTL conference will take place in Utrecht. For this conference, teachers will also be invited to present research-informed educational projects. These can be the same projects, however, the format for the ISSOTL can deviate from the OnderwijsFestival format.