Degree from a Dutch university of applied sciences (HBO)
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
Do you have a Dutch University of Applied Sciences (HBO) degree? In some cases students with a HBO background can also be admitted to this Master's programme. You will need to do a Pre-Master's programme tailored to the Master’s programme first. Whether you are eligible for such a programme depends on the nature of your HBO studies and your grades. If you are an above average HBO student with a degree in a study well suited to the Master's programme, please apply to this Master and include your motivation letter.
Students with a degree from the following HBO studies can apply for a Pre-Master’s for Intercultural Communication:
- Teacher training (Pre-Master of 30 EC)
- International Management / Communication (Pre-Master of 45 EC)
Depending on what your ambitions are, you pick a track:
All students have to take non-language specific courses, regardless of what track you choose. For these courses we have the following requirements:
- The lectures are in English. Therefore the required language proficiency in English is B2-C1.
- The seminars of these courses are either in English or in Dutch. For English the requirement is C1. For the tutorials in Dutch the requirement is also C1.
In order to show your capacity in one of these languages, you need write the first part of your motivation letter either in Dutch or English.
All students take language specific courses. Depending on the track you are following different admission requirements apply.
Admission requirements for a language-specific track
- You have an HBO grade-two teaching diploma (i.e. at higher-education level) in one of the languages offered in the programme.
- You are fluent in the language of the language-specific track (C1 level) and also have sufficient knowledge of a second language (B1 level). Your letter of motivation shows this; you should write it in two languages. You can make a stronger case for your application for the multilingual track by submitting official documents that substantiate your language skills. Check the summary for all language requirements (PDF).
Admission requirements for the multilingual track
- You have an HBO diploma (i.e. at higher-education level) in the field of international management or communication, for example.
- You are sufficiently proficient (B2 or C1 level) in one language (German, English, French, Italian, Dutch or Spanish) and have a sufficient knowledge of a second language (B1 level).
- Your letter of motivation shows this; you should write it in two languages. You can make a stronger case for your application for the multilingual track by submitting official documents that substantiate your language skills.
- Check the summary for all language requirements (PDF).
Not sure if you are eligible?
You can contact us with questions about your eligibility.
If you do not meet the entry requirements, you might be eligible for a Pre-Master's programme. If you wish to apply for the Pre-Master’s programme, you must follow the regular application procedure for the Master’s programme. The Admissions Committee will then decide whether you will be admitted to a Pre-Master’s programme, and if so, which courses you must take. Only then may you register for the Pre-Master’s programme.
For a general idea of what your Pre-Master's programme may look like, check the Pre-Master's programme page.
Please note: the application deadline for scholarship candidates is 1 February, not 1 December.
|Application deadline for scholarship candidates|
|Application deadline for Non-EU passport holders|
|Application deadline for EU passport holders|
Your application is complete when you have (1) fully submitted your OSIRIS application, (2) uploaded all required documents and (3) paid the application fee (if applicable). After the deadline has passed, incomplete applications will be cancelled.
The following documents must be uploaded before the application deadline:
- Curriculum vitae / resume
- Two letters of recommendation
- Courses yet to be completed
- Diploma or graduation statement
- Motivation letter
- Preliminary idea for a research project (max 200 words).
- Formulate a concise research question relevant to the field of study and indicate the research methods you would use to answer it.
- Relevant courses
- A scan of your transcript (including courses, grades and GPA)
Please make sure the document has a stamp and signature of the institute.
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents and check the status of your application.
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, the Graduate School will evaluate them. We strive to inform you of our decision within 30 working days after the application deadline.
If you are admitted, your admission letter will describe the next steps towards enrollment. In most cases your admission is conditional, which means you will have to send additional documents or complete more steps.