Data Science is a two-year research oriented Master's programme (120 EC). The credits are in EC (European Credits), where 1 EC is equivalent with 28 hours of work.
The curriculum consists of a course part with several compulsory and elective courses in year 1, followed by a research part in year 2.
1. Course part (75 EC)
The course part of the programme entails:
- 4 compulsory courses (30 EC)
- 6 elective courses (45 EC)
In the course list below you can find a description of the specific courses.
2. Research part (45 EC)
The second year of the programme is devoted to the research part in which students conduct a research project under the supervision of an academic staff member. The research project can be conducted within Utrecht University or at some external organization (university or institute with a research-and-development department). In the latter case, the external organization has to contribute significantly to the research project.
The research project consists of 3 parts:
- a colloquium presentation, including participation in the colloquium series of the programme
- a major literature study;
- and the final thesis. The thesis is defended publicly at the end of the research project.
- Practical- and lab assignments
- Learning by doing
- Group learning.
- Written or online exams
- Practical lab assignment