Data science is one of the most promising career paths to follow. Our brand new research Master’s programme in Data Science teaches you how to expand existing boundaries by designing new theories and better tools, to make an impact in science and society. The programme starts September 2023
Are you curious about pushing existing data science technologies to higher levels and designing new theories and tools for data analysis? Translating challenging questions into technical solutions that produce valuable insights about real life or business operations? Understanding how data science can be used to solve urgent problems facing society, like inequality, world hunger, and global warming? Communicating data findings convincingly and transparently to a broad audience? Or landing jobs having salaries among the highest in the market?
Become the Data Scientist of the future
Data scientists collect, clean, integrate, analyse, and visualise data to make predictions, understand the impact of unseen events and optimize the way certain tasks are done. The research Master’s in Data Science aims at creating the data scientists of the future that go beyond applying existing analytical tools, algorithms, and machine learning principles. It enables you to advance the existing technologies, make the necessary breakthroughs, and push the boundaries of data science far beyond what we are capable of doing today. It prepares you for a research career (PhD) or for an industrial career in high level positions that require open and collaborative minds to drive innovative Data Science solutions.
Data science essential for AI
Data scientist are fundamental for AI. Modern AI solutions cannot be materialised without the advanced methods to identify the data that matters, the techniques to efficiently manage those massive volumes, the tools to apply the necessary computational techniques, or the ways to effectively communicate the results.
The programme operates in parallel to the Master’s in Applied Data Science, that instead aims on how to apply existing data science solutions in different application domains, and the Master’s in AI that focus specifically on the development of algorithms mimicking human intelligence.
Why in Utrecht
- We offer a unique, holistic approach to all the research domains in the data processing pipeline, from data preparation to analysis and visualisation.
- Focus on algorithm development, system building, and architectural design, advancing the field of data science to new levels, creating novel, innovative solutions.
- The courses are taught by distinguished researchers in the respective research communities.
- The programme is part of a rich ecosystem that includes the Utrecht AI Labs, organisations like TNO, the UMC, and other private businesses. This allows students to experience interactions with respected organisations in the field, e.g., through internships, specialize, and also apply their research to specific real-life domains.
- Informatica (MSc)
- Language of instruction:
- Mode of study:
- Study duration:
- 2 years
- September, February
- Tuition fees:
- Dutch and other EU/EEA students (statutory fee, full-time) 2023-2024: € 2,314
Non-EU/EEA students (institutional fee) 2023-2024: € 21,736
More information about fees
- Croho code:
- Accredited by the NVAO
- Graduate school:
- Natural Sciences