Do you want to know how you can take scientific research and products to the market? How you can apply your scientific knowledge in commercial companies? Or how you can combine your passion for science and business?
From scientific research to a business internship
A solid understanding of science is essential to bring science-based products to the market. In this Master's, you will build on your academic background in science while adding knowledge of business processes and practical skills for commercial settings. Importantly, you will also focus on the strategic value and applicability of scientific research. The programme will equip you with the knowledge and tools to identify, manage, and overcome problems that arise in each phase of an innovation process.
The first year comprises a science-focused programme, in which you will receive training in a research environment within your area of expertise. In the second year you will obtain business management skills and learn about operations management, organization and strategic management, marketing, economics, entrepreneurship and effective communication in a business environment. You will apply your skills at the final stage of the Master's, during an internship at a national or international company of your choice. The internship must be sufficiently challenging and is subject to approval by the coordinator.
Given the fact that I was sure that I wanted a career outside of science, I am convinced that having done the SBM-master was pivotal in my success. If you are sure of that too, I highly recommend this Master.
Why in Utrecht
- Our Master's programme Science and Business Management (SBM) offers you a unique training that will enable you to translate interesting ideas into innovative products.
- A strong sense of community is initiated by the programme, and also by the SBM study Association Business For Life. These enthusiastic students organize workshops, talks but also social events.
- This Master's is part of the Graduate School of Life Sciences (GSLS). The GSLS brings together the research expertise and facilities of the faculties of Science, Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, in cooperation with UMC Utrecht - offering you an interdisciplinary approach.
- Natuurwetenschappen en Bedrijf (MSc)
- Language of instruction:
- Mode of study:
- Study duration:
- 2 years
- September, February
- Tuition fees:
- Dutch and other EU/EEA students (statutory fee, full-time) 2023-2024: € 2,314
Non-EU/EEA students (institutional fee) 2023-2024: € 21,736
More information about fees
- Croho code:
- Accredited by the NVAO
- Graduate school:
- Life Sciences
- Request a brochure