Degree from a non-Dutch university
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
This programme is limited to a maximum of 65 admissions. Only students who meet the entry requirements will be considered for admission. If the number of candidates exceeds the number of available places, the Admissions Committee will select only the most eligible candidates. Please read the selection criteria and procedure carefully.
To be accepted to this Master’s programme you need:
- An academic Bachelor’s degree in Psychology. Our International Students Admission’s office will verify whether a non-Dutch academic degree is equivalent to a Bachelor’s degree at a Dutch research university. All international Bachelor’s degrees are evaluated based on standards set by the NUFFIC. If your degree is assessed as less than equivalent to a 3-year Dutch research University degree, or as a bachelor from a university of applied sciences, you are most likely not eligible for admission
- Academic knowledge and skills required to participate in this programme. You can find these requirements in this document. In order to meet these requirements your Bachelor’s degree has to be in Psychology with a neuropsychological orientation that fulfils the requirements in terms of level, orientation and scope. Also an online assessment will be mandatory to the evaluation of the methods and statistics criterion. For more information please consult the document above for the specified criteria.
Please note that if you want to participate in the clinical internship (clinical track) sufficient knowledge of neuropsychological assessment is also required. The Admissions Committee can check if you meet the requirement for this track – in addition to the entry requirements for the programme as whole – during the assessment of your application. If you want this, please choose this option during your application in Osiris and upload the requested proof (checklist and course syllabus). More details about this requirement can be found in the document above on page 2.
- Sufficient command of the English language (see below).
- Motivation that fits the aim of this programme.
English language requirements
- IELTS, Academic Module. Minimum score: 6.5 overall band, at least 6 for writing, speaking, listening and reading.
- TOEFL, iBT. Minimum score 93 with at least a score of 24 reading, 22 listening, 20 speaking, 20 writing (internet-based test), institutional scores are not accepted.
- Cambridge Certificate (not available to students from China):
- Cambridge English C1 Advanced (CAE). Minimum score: 176 total, 169 writing
- Cambridge English C2 Proficiency (CPE). Minimum score: 180 total, 169 writing
You are exempt from the English language requirement if:
- You obtained your previous degree from a Dutch Research University
- You obtained your secondary school diploma or Bachelor's degree in Australia, Canada, Ireland, New Zealand, Singapore, UK, USA or South Africa
- You obtained an English-taught International Baccalaureate (IB) Diploma or European Baccalaureate (EB) Diploma.
Unsure if you qualify for admission?
In order to properly assess whether you are eligible for admission, it is important that we have the right information. It is therefore necessary that you apply through the standard admission procedure and submit the required documents. The Admissions Committee will then evaluate your eligibility and you will be informed of their decision by means of a letter of (non-, conditional or unconditional) acceptance.
Note: you may need to pay an application fee (of 100 Euro), otherwise the application will not be considered. Check the information on our Application Fee page.
The Neuropsychology Master’s programme is limited to a maximum of 65 admissions for the academic year. The selection procedure consists of two steps.
The Admissions Committee evaluates your eligibility based on your knowledge and skills. Candidates who will meet this requirement before the start of the Master’s programme will proceed to step 2. Candidates will be notified of the Admissions Committee's decision.
The Admissions Committee will rank students based on:
- Their weighted average grade (at the time of their application)
- Their motivation for studying neuropsychology, in particular for choosing the Master’s in Neuropsychology at Utrecht University and the match with their interests and competencies.
Candidates considered by the Admissions Committee as excellent will be immediately selected for the Master’s programme. Other candidates will be selected once the application deadline has passed. All candidates will be informed about the decision before 1 June. An (online or live) interview may be part of the application procedure.
Please note that if you have already been selected for an internship, this does not mean that you will be automatically selected for the Master’s programme. Internship institutions have their own admission procedures which are not related to the selection procedure for the Master’s programme in Neuropsychology.
Unfortunately, this Master's programme does not offer a pre-Master's programme to students with a non-Dutch degree who do not meet the entry requirements.
However, if you have most required knowledge and skills, but only lack more advanced knowledge concerning multivariate statistics, you may be able to meet this requirement by completing a Summer School course. This is for the Admissions Committee to decide. It is not possible to acquire any other required knowledge or skill in this way.
Please always apply for the Master’s programme first. If the Admissions Committee determines that you do not meet this entry requirement, they will decide if you are eligible to this Summer School course. If you are admitted, participation in this course will be a condition for admission.
|Deadline for scholarship applicants|
Complete your application in time
Your application is complete when you have (1) fully submitted your Studielink ánd OSIRIS application, (2) uploaded all required documents in Osiris Online Application. After the deadline has passed, incomplete applications will be cancelled.
The following documents must be uploaded before the deadline:
A scan of your diploma or Proof of anticipated degree in English, Dutch, French, German or Spanish. If your documents are in another language, you also need to arrange a translation by a sworn translator.
- Transcripts of Records (including courses taken, grades obtained and GPA) in English, Dutch, French, German or Spanish. If your documents are in another language, you also need to arrange a translation by a sworn translator.
- Certified copies of your diploma and transcript (after admission).
An overview of courses yet to be completed (when you have not yet obtained your diploma)
A scan of your official English language test report or certificate.
- Nuffic certificate (Chinese students only)
Checklist Entry Requirements and syllabi of all the courses you list on this Checklist. These syllabi must be written in English or Dutch. If they are not available in one of these languages, please upload the original syllabi and include a (self-written) clear and comprehensive English summary.
- A copy of your Bachelor’s thesis or similar research report. When you have not yet completed your thesis, submit a signed statement by your thesis supervisor that states the title and research question.
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents, check the status of your application and pay your application fee.
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, International Student Admissions will verify them and send them to the Graduate School for evaluation. We strive to inform you of our decision within 30 working days after the application deadline.
If you are admitted, your admission letter will describe the next steps towards enrollment. In most cases your admission is conditional, which means you will have to submit certified digital documents.