Degree from a Dutch university of applied sciences (HBO)
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
This is a selective Master's programme. Higher professional education (hbo-diploma) applicants will be assessed on an individual basis. Only applicants with a remarkable track record will be considered. Previous education will have to relate to the content of the Master’s programme.
To be considered for admission to the Master's programme Medical Imaging you must hold a Bachelor's degree of a Dutch University of Applied Sciences can demonstrate:
- A relevant Bachelor’s degree
Bachelor’s programmes that most likely meet the requirements are:
- Applied Physics
- Applied Science
- Biology with a theoretical Bioinformatics Minor
- Biomedical Sciences with a relevant and sufficient Science Minor
- Other relevant Science programmes
- Relevant knowledge, insight and skills
In depth knowledge and insight in the field of physics, mathematics, computer science or more applied sciences.
- Academic performance: high overall score (GPA, average grade, grading tables), and high grades for relevant courses*.
- High level of academic competences, specifically:
- Study progress (e.g.grade development over the years)*
- The ability to design, carry out, and report on research projects*
*If you fail to meet some of the requirements 3-4, please indicate why you feel you are still eligible for admission in your motivation letter
- Personal competences
- A clear motivation and talent for participation in this Master’s programme.
- Genuine research interest in the field of medical imaging in the broadest sense, including the physics behind medical imaging acquisition, medical image analysis, and applications in science, in the clinic, and in industry.
- A broad interest in combining elements from physics, mathematics, computer science, biomedical engineering, biology, and clinical medicine
- Relevant extracurricular activities
English language requirements
As a graduate from a Dutch University of Applied Sciences you do not have to fulfill any extra language requirements for this programme.
The Admissions Committee reviews all requests for admission and selects students that meet the entry requirements. The Admissions Committee also assesses whether you will be able to successfully complete the Master’s programme within the set time frame. This means the decision on your application is based on a thorough analysis.
You will receive a written notification of the decision of the Admissions Committee. You will be notified if you still have to fulfill certain conditions. If you have received a (conditional) letter of acceptance, we expect you to accept or decline the offer within two weeks.
You can contact the Programme Coordinator with questions about your eligibility.
Utrecht University is not offering a pre-master's programme for Medical Imaging.
|Application deadline for scholarship candidates
|Application deadline for Non-EU passport holders
|Application deadline for EU passport holders
All deadlines expire at 23:59 [CET/CEST] on the specified date. You must complete the application process (including submitting your application documents in OSIRIS Online Application and paying the application fee) by this time.
If you need an early admissions decision in order to apply for scholarships, you should submit your application before February 1. In addition, please send proof of your scholarship application to the Biomedical Administration Office: firstname.lastname@example.org.
The following documents must be uploaded before the application deadline:
Diploma or certified graduation statement (with graduation date and without any conditions)
Certified transcript (including courses, grades and GPA)
Please make sure the document has a stamp/signature and contact information of the institute.
Course information. Please provide a detailed description of coursework in the relevant field of science.
Referent contact information. Please provide name, institution, function, address, email, phone no. of two academic referents.
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents, check the status of your application and enter contact details of your referee(s).
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, the Graduate School will evaluate them. We strive to inform you of our decision within 20 working days.