Do you want to know what kind of impact global change has on ecosytem functioning and biodiversity? How we can manage our natural resources in a sustainable manner? How animal behaviour can be explained from an ecological and evolutionary perspective? Or what we can learn from microbes in nature and how do we make them useful for mankind?
Explore life from genes to ecosystems
In the master’s programme Environmental Biology you will have the chance to study the functioning of plants, animals and micro-organisms in their environment, and how they react to changes in that environment. We study these biological processes at different organization levels of life, from genes, cells and organisms, to populations and entire ecosystems.
The research we offer is driven by grand societal challenges such as sustainable food production, the effects of climate change, conservation of biodiversity and the management of natural resources. The knowledge we gain, is applied to address these societal challenges.
Why in Utrecht
- We offer a multidisciplinary programme that integrates different levels of biological organisation, i.e. from genes to ecosystems.
- We gain fundamental knowledge on the functioning of plants, animals and microbes, and apply it to address societal challenges.
- Freedom to design your own programme, by choosing the track, research project and electives that best fit your interests. You also select one out of 9 profiles which are designed to deepen your skills in a direction you choose.
- This Master's is part of the Graduate School of Life Sciences (GSLS). The GSLS brings together the research expertise and facilities of the faculties of Science, Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, in cooperation with UMC Utrecht - offering you an interdisciplinary approach.
- Biosciences (MSc)
- Language of instruction:
- Mode of study:
- Study duration:
- 2 years
- Tuition fees:
- Dutch and other EU/EEA students (statutory fee, full-time) 2023-2024: € 2,314
Non-EU/EEA students (institutional fee) 2023-2024: € 21,736
More information about fees
- Croho code:
- Accredited by the NVAO
- Graduate school:
- Life Sciences
- Request a brochure