Why study Biofabrication at Utrecht University?
- World’s first master’s programme in Biofabrication, opportunity to obtain an international double degree from Utrecht University & one of the partner institutions in Autralia
- As a student you will have the opportunity to carry out two hands-on research projects at renowned research groups.
- Utrecht University is a leading institution in the field of Biofabrication and offers a unique combination of studying 3D printing technology with a biomedical approach
- The Utrecht Biofabrication Facility at the Uithof gives students the opportunity to familiarize themselves with innovative science and technology and to collaborate with the scientists associated with it, both from the various departments in Utrecht as well as international researchers.
- The biofabrication programme provides ample opportunity to customise your curriculum to maximally benefit from the multiple educational options in Utrecht and Australia.
Read more on why in Utrecht
What you’ll learn
Biofabrication combines advanced fabrication techniques with biological systems to prepare designed tissue constructs. These can be applied for tissue engineering, as 3D in vitro biologic models or as medical therapeutic products. The Biofabrication programme will equip you with a toolbox to innovate within this multidisciplinary field. We will provide a thorough understanding as well as operational experience of processes such as 3D bioprinting and other fabrication technologies, biomaterials, 3D cell culturing, computer models and imaging.
Our course content will instruct you to:
- understand and apply knowledge from biofabrication technology to (re)generating various tissues;
- design, plan, conduct, and communicate scientific research;
- write a compelling research proposal;
- critically evaluate literature and presentations;
- and function effectively in multidisciplinary, international groups.
Read more on the study programme
You are eligible for this challenging programme if you hold a bachelor’s degree in Biomedical Sciences, Medicine, University College, Biomedical Engineering or similar. A bachelor’s degree in Biology, Pharmaceutical Sciences (or another Life Science programme) may qualify you for the programme. A bachelor’s degree in engineering or a chemical discipline may give access, if including a biomedical component.
Read more on admission and application
Career in Biofabrication
As a graduate you will have a strong research background in Biofabrication and a broad basic knowledge of the field, which enables you to pursue a career in academic (PhD) or in industrial/commercial directions, including R&D, sales, consultancy. Your considerable research experience abroad and the obtained double degree will make you an attractive candidate for any Biofabrication-related position in the world.
Read more on Career prospects