Preparing arts professionals for the cultural sector of the future
The cultural world is in a state of rapid transformation due to technological innovation, urbanisation, economic globalisation, and an increasingly unpredictable sociopolitical landscape. All facets of the arts – practice, organisation, leadership, societal relevance, and internationalisation (in Europe and beyond) – are affected by this transformation. Utrecht’s Master of Arts and Society will prepare you to operate as a leading figure in the global arts, media, and cultural sectors of the future.
Our Master’s programme is designed to meet the urgent need for arts professionals who possess rigorous theoretical and research skills coupled with practical abilities and an acute awareness of the current state of the sector at the local and global levels. As a student in this programme you will explore, for example, the dynamics and dilemmas within existing mainstream culture and its relationship with a growing number of “alternative” cultural practices, new models of creative production and industry, and the ever-increasing role of the arts in social justice.
Why choose this programme at Utrecht University?
Our Master’s programme is unique in many ways:
- You will benefit from interdisciplinary programme content that places a special emphasis on grassroots and participatory arts in social contexts.
- The Department of Media and Culture Studies, our programme's home, is a community of world class scholars whose teaching and research complement Arts and Society.
- You will be trained in highly innovative social research skills that combine methodological rigor, creative expression and critical engagement with the arts practices.
- You will learn from faculty with international expertise and benefit from a curriculum with a global orientation.
- Through our organisational partnerships in Europe, Africa, Asia-Pacific, North America, and Latin America, you will get a chance to meet and interact with arts professionals working in a wide variety of contexts.
- You will have a broad range of opportunities for student exchange and joint research through our numerous academic partnerships across the globe.