Degree from a Dutch research university
This page outlines the step-by-step process for completing your application to a Master's programme at Utrecht University. Please read this information thoroughly before starting your application.
This is a selective Master's. You will be considered for admission to the research Master’s programme in Religious Studies if you can demonstrate the following knowledge, insight, and skills:
- A relevant Bachelor’s degree (or equivalent) in the humanities or in one of the social sciences.
- Proven interest in Religious Studies, as evidenced in a minimum of 30 EC in a relevant field at the Bachelor’s level.
- Strong motivation to carry out academic research and the ambition to follow a programme that trains you to become a researcher (demonstrated in your motivation letter).
- Knowledge of basic concepts in Religious Studies and insight into relevant methods.
- A high standard of academic achievement, as evidenced in an overall grade point average and a Bachelor’s thesis grade equalling “good” or better in the applicable national system. (Typically, Dutch grade 7.5; US grade B; ECTS grade C.)
- Proficiency in English, both orally and in written text, as demonstrated by a writing sample and possibly an interview.
Those with a strong interest in the programme who do not meet the entry requirements are encouraged to contact the Programme Coordinator.
The Admissions Committee will evaluate your application on the basis of the documents submitted by you. The decision for admission is based on the following criteria:
- Motivation and talent.
- Past performance.
- Level of required knowledge and mastery of methods and techniques used in the subject area.
- General high level of professional and intellectual ability.
- Command of English.
An interview (possibly via Skype) may be part of the selection procedure. Alternatively, the Admissions Committee may ask for additional written material.
The following Bachelor’s programmes offer a suitable background for this Master’s programme:
At Utrecht University
- Islam en Arabisch
- Culturele antropologie en ontwikkelingssociologie
- Taal- en cultuurstudies with a major (hoofdrichting) in Religie en Cultuur
- Liberal Arts and Sciences with a major (hoofdrichting) in Religie en Cultuur
- Liberal Arts and Sciences UCU/UCR, with courses in Religious Studies and other relevant disciplines (at least 30 EC)
- Algemene sociale wetenschappen
- Media en cultuur
At another Dutch research university
- Religious Studies
- Islamic and Arabic Studies
- Area Studies
- Gender Studies
- Media Studies
- Cultural Studies
- Humanistic Studies
- Liberal Arts and Sciences with courses in Religious Studies or other relevant disciplines
- Social Sciences
Are you currently enrolled in a different Bachelor’s programme and thinking about applying for this Master’s programme? Please contact the Programme Coordinator for more information.
Not sure if you are eligible?
You can contact the Programme Coordinator with questions about your eligibility.
The research Master in Religious Studies does not offer a Pre-Master's programme.
|Application deadline for scholarship candidates|
|Application deadline for Non-EU passport holders|
|Application deadline for EU passport holders|
All deadlines expire at 23:59 [Central European Time] on the specified date. You must complete the application process (including submitting your application documents in OSIRIS Online Application and paying the application fee) by this time.
The following documents must be uploaded before the application deadline (depending on your previous education):
Degree from Utrecht University
Transcript from OSIRIS
Degree from another Dutch research university
- Motivation statement
- Curriculum vitae / resume
- Courses yet to be completed
- Diploma or graduation statement
- Relevant courses
- A scan of your transcript (including courses, grades and GPA)
Please make sure the document has a stamp and signature of the institute.
- Writing sample
Visit Studielink and complete the registration process. You can find all information on how to use Studielink here. After completing your Studielink application, you will receive login details for OSIRIS online application within 2 working days.Apply via Studielink
After submitting your application to Studielink, you will receive an email with login details for OSIRIS Online Application. Here you can upload all required documents and check the status of your application.
After you upload all documents in OSIRIS, the Graduate School will evaluate them. We strive to inform you of our decision within 20 working days.