Are you wondering what the influence of the coronavirus will be on your studies? Visit our corona FAQ for prospective students.
The fascinating world of physics
The research Master’s degree programme in Theoretical Physics is your gateway to understanding the fascinating world of physics, ranging from the unimaginably small scales of elementary particles to the vast dimensions of our universe. Our highly rated research programme will equip you with the knowledge and skills to describe space-time and elementary particles as well as macroscopic and microscopic phenomena in quantum and soft matter.
The MSc programme in Theoretical Physics provides students with a broad overview of methods and topics in theoretical physics and teaches them to work independently in a specific sub-discipline of the field. Students also learn to present and discuss their work both orally and in writing, and to take a critical attitude towards the existing literature.
Our programme offers excellent preparation for further research studies in physics or careers in the international job market. Two-thirds of our graduates continue on to conduct PhD-level research either at Utrecht University or at other prestigious institutions around the world.
- Degree: This Master's programme is officially registered under its name in the Central Register of Higher Education Study Programmes
- Title: MSc
- Master's degree in: Physics
- Programme: Theoretical Physics
- Accredited by the NVAO
- Croho code:
- Language of instruction:
- Part- or full-time status:
- 2 years
- Credits: 60 credits equals one year full-time study load (European Credit Transfer System, ECTS)
- Start of studies:
- Application deadline:
- February: Dutch & EU/EER students: 15 October
- February: Non-EU/EEA students: 1 September
- September: Dutch & EU/EER students: 1 June
- September: Non-EU/EEA students: 1 April
- Tuition fees:
- Graduate school:
- Natural Sciences