Do you want to study the fundamental questions of the universe in order to comprehend the world? Explore different fields of theoretical physics, from the tiniest things to galaxies? Or be challenged to become the best physicist as you possibly can?
The fascinating world of physics
The research Master’s degree programme in Theoretical Physics is your gateway to understanding the fascinating world of physics, ranging from the unimaginably small scales of elementary particles to the vast dimensions of our universe. Our highly rated research programme will equip you with the knowledge and skills to describe space-time and elementary particles as well as macroscopic and microscopic phenomena in quantum and soft matter.
Theoretical Physics provides students with a broad overview of methods and topics in theoretical physics and teaches them to work independently in a specific sub-discipline of the field. Students also learn to present and discuss their work both orally and in writing, and to take a critical attitude towards the existing literature.
Why in Utrecht?
- A broad set of courses across theoretical physics.
- Access to cutting-edge research and leading instructors in the field.
- The ability to tailor your study programme to your interests.
- Individualised supervision and a lively atmosphere.
- A full-year thesis research project.
- Physics (MSc)
- Language of instruction:
- Mode of study:
- Study duration:
- 2 years
- September, February
- Tuition fees:
- Dutch and other EU/EEA students (statutory fee, full-time) 2023-2024: € 2,314
Non-EU/EEA students (institutional fee) 2023-2024: € 21,736
More information about fees
- Croho code:
- Accredited by the NVAO
- Graduate school:
- Natural Sciences
- Request a brochure