Interested in our programme? Meet us at the Open Day!
A LABORATORY OF IDEAS, REFLECTION, AND NARRATIVES IN THE DIGITAL AGE
Do you wonder how a literary work becomes a classic or bestseller in the Digital Age? Would you like to learn about the steps taken between publishing a manuscript and the media reviews, talk shows, or blogs in which the work is discussed? Then this Master's programme might be for you.
In the Master’s programme Literature Today, you will learn to identify and critically evaluate the most recent national and international developments in literature, and to situate these from a historical perspective. You will be equipped with the tools to identify and explain the quality of literary works in times of increasing commercialisation. You will learn how literature circulates within the market as part of a creative industry sustained by centuries-old tradition, and you will investigate from theoretical and practical angles how to help to spread literature, explain it to a broader public, and translate academic insights for the reading public.
Prepare for the job market
Critical reflection, building up a repertoire, the consolidation of writing skills, and an understanding of how literary institutions operate in an era of globalisation are central to your studies during this programme. You can also complete an internship with publishing houses, media corporations, libraries, literary foundations, or cultural institutions – the job market and professional field for which this Master’s programme prepares you. Read more about internships and career development.
You can choose from among the following tracks to tailor the programme to your interests and desired career path:
1. English and Comparative Literature (entirely in English)
2. Dutch Literature (in Dutch and English)
3a. French Literature (Modern Literature in European Languages)
3b. German Literature (Modern Literature in European Languages)
3d. Hispanic Literature (Modern Literature in European Languages)
Read more about our tracks.
As a graduate of the Master in Literature Today, you will be trained to critically engage with the challenges that confront literature in our globalised, digitalised, and commercialised world. The programme content approaches these challenges from both a theoretical and practical perspective so that you will be fully prepared for the job market.
During your studies, the programme will:
- Provide you with knowledge about the sociocultural contexts in which literature is created, distributed, and read.
- Teach you to critically reflect on contemporary issues concerning the field of literature.
- Train your analytical and writing skills so that you will be able to translate academic knowledge to a broad public.
- Allow you to profile yourself as an expert in literature from a specific language area.
During your studies, you will become acquainted with different literary institutions that operate in the field of literature and culture. After finishing the programme, you can use the academic and practical skills acquired during your year of study and begin working at one of these institutions. Read more about possible career prospects.
Literature Today is a selective Master’s programme. Do you want to know if you are eligible for this Master? Check the entry requirements.
- Degree: This Master's programme is officially registered under its name in the Central Register of Higher Education Study Programmes
- Title: MA
- Master's degree in: Literary Studies
- Programme: Literature Today
- Accredited by the NVAO
- Croho code:
- Language of instruction:
- Part- or full-time status:
- 1 year
- Credits: 60 credits equals one year full-time study load (European Credit Transfer System, ECTS)
- Start of studies:
- Application deadline:
- Dutch & EU/EER students: 1 April
- Non-EU/EEA students: 1 April
- Tuition fees:
- Graduate school: