How do we deal with the long term challenges from new technologies, globalisation, demographic shifts and environmental change? Are our current pension and healthcare systems strong enough to cope with an ageing population? What policies are required to achieve environmental sustainability - and who is responsible for taking action? If you are strongly motivated to contribute to just and effective decisions in economic policy-making, the Master’s in Economic Policy at Utrecht University School of Economics (U.S.E.) is the right choice for you.
Watch the video of the Economic Policy Programme.
Based on Utrecht University’s research expertise, this multidisciplinary Master’s gives you 360-degree picture of the importance of economic policy-making for business, government, and society.
Content of the programme
In the Master in Economic Policy you focus on
- the role of government policies in complex societal issues such as health care and insurance, sustainable economic growth, and energy transition;
- applying modern economics to societal questions such as labour market reform, inequality, and the future of health care.
This MSc in Economic Policy provides you with:
- The sound theoretical knowledge and advanced analytical skills required to work in the complex, challenging and important field of economic and public policy;
- A small-scale, culturally diverse cohort that creates a lively, intense and highly international interaction in and out of class;
- A multidisciplinary approach that combines expertise in both economics and the social sciences;
- The ability to contribute to societal development by designing and implementing new solutions to the complex and multifaceted issues facing governments organisations and society today;
- Broad perspectives from studying such core subjects as: Sustainable Growth, Econometric Methods in Empirical Economics, Public and Political Economics, Energy Transition and Behavioural Economics.
You will actively participate in major research projects, conduct your own research, present your results, and write short essays and a master’s thesis.
Upon completion of the MSc in Economic Policy you are prepared for a wide range of careers in both the public and private sector. Our alumni have gone on to develop careers as economics policy advisors for government agencies at the national, European and international level; as economic professionals in the public domain of public administration, health care, education and social security; or as consultants in sustainable transitions and energy economics. Read more about possible career prospects.
Do you want to know if you are eligible for this Master? Check the entry requirement.
- Degree: This Master's programme is officially registered under its name in the Central Register of Higher Education Study Programmes
- Title: MSc
- Master's degree in: Economic Policy
- Programme: Economic Policy
- Accredited by the NVAO
- Croho code:
- Language of instruction:
- Part- or full-time status:
- 1 year
- Credits: 60 credits equals one year full-time study load (European Credit Transfer System, ECTS)
- Start of studies:
- Application deadline:
- Dutch & EU/EER students: 1 June 2019
- Non-EU/EEA students: 1 April 2019
- Tuition fees:
- Law, Economics and Governance
- Graduate school:
- Law, Economics and Governance